• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

CERN internship personal statement

• Thread starter MarioO
  • Start date
Hello,

I am trying to write a personal statement for a summer internship at CERN. The question is:

"Explain why you want to p?articipate in this program and describe what you hope to get out of it."

Should I be very specific about one thing that interests me? Because there are about three reasons, but if I write in detail about each one, then I'll be writing 3 pages or more. Also, does anybody has any experience with this programme?
As far as programming, I don't have much experience which is scaring me a little.

I don't know who else to ask. :frown:

Didn't this deadline already pass?

There are some spots open.

Hm, alright then. I would keep it brief. One to one and a half pages is plenty. Focus on specifics, not nebulous "exploring the universe excites me" stuff. And don't worry about programming but that is something you should probably rectify as soon as you can. Programming is very good to have when applying to REUs.

Well, I got in.

Just one more question. Is $400/week a reasonable stipend? They told me that they will only pay for housing and the plane ticket. I also need an overseas medical insurance. What is that? I don't even have normal insurance :(.

Well, I got in.

Just one more question. Is $400/week a reasonable stipend? They told me that they will only pay for housing and the plane ticket. I also need an overseas medical insurance. What is that? I don't even have normal insurance :(.
your school should have a "semester abroad" program, they should know everything you'll need to know about those things :)

and 400 a week is fine if your housing is paid for. more than fine, really. looks like it's about 280 euros, and that is a decent amount. from what i understand of the program, you won't have tons of free time to go and blow the money.

Thank you for replying.

It seems that I won't be attending. I hate not being able to afford the med insurance and also, since I am a U.S permanent resident and not a citizen, I would need to apply for a VISA with crazy requirements that I cannot afford. I hate being poor :frown:. At least, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I was offered an invitation to participate :redface:

That's a fricking mare it sounds like it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'd sell my grandmother for that.

Yeah being poor sucks, and they wonder why the rich always seem to get further. Its the opportunities and the resources. Hard not to feel jealous of that.