CERN internship personal statement

In summary, the person wrote that they got accepted to a summer internship program at CERN, but they are worried about the financial burden of the program. They also said that their school has a semester abroad program that they should research more. They also said that the stipend is 400 euros per week which they think is fair. They said that they do not plan to attend the program, because they cannot afford the medical insurance.
MarioO
Hello,

I am trying to write a personal statement for a summer internship at CERN. The question is:

"Explain why you want to p?articipate in this program and describe what you hope to get out of it."

Should I be very specific about one thing that interests me? Because there are about three reasons, but if I write in detail about each one, then I'll be writing 3 pages or more. Also, does anybody has any experience with this programme?
As far as programming, I don't have much experience which is scaring me a little.

I don't know who else to ask. :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't this deadline already pass?

There are some spots open.

Hm, alright then. I would keep it brief. One to one and a half pages is plenty. Focus on specifics, not nebulous "exploring the universe excites me" stuff. And don't worry about programming but that is something you should probably rectify as soon as you can. Programming is very good to have when applying to REUs.

Well, I got in.

Just one more question. Is $400/week a reasonable stipend? They told me that they will only pay for housing and the plane ticket. I also need an overseas medical insurance. What is that? I don't even have normal insurance :(.

MarioO said:
Well, I got in.

Just one more question. Is $400/week a reasonable stipend? They told me that they will only pay for housing and the plane ticket. I also need an overseas medical insurance. What is that? I don't even have normal insurance :(.

your school should have a "semester abroad" program, they should know everything you'll need to know about those things :)

and 400 a week is fine if your housing is paid for. more than fine, really. looks like it's about 280 euros, and that is a decent amount. from what i understand of the program, you won't have tons of free time to go and blow the money.

Thank you for replying.

It seems that I won't be attending. I hate not being able to afford the med insurance and also, since I am a U.S permanent resident and not a citizen, I would need to apply for a VISA with crazy requirements that I cannot afford. I hate being poor :frown:. At least, I have the satisfaction of knowing that I was offered an invitation to participate :redface:

That's a fricking mare it sounds like it is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I'd sell my grandmother for that.

Yeah being poor sucks, and they wonder why the rich always seem to get further. Its the opportunities and the resources. Hard not to feel jealous of that.

1. What is a CERN internship personal statement?

A CERN internship personal statement is a written document that outlines your qualifications, experience, and motivation for applying to a internship program at CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research).

2. What should be included in a CERN internship personal statement?

A CERN internship personal statement should include information about your academic background, relevant work experience, skills and abilities, and your interest in the field of physics and research. It should also highlight your motivation and goals for applying to the CERN internship program.

3. How important is a CERN internship personal statement in the application process?

A CERN internship personal statement is a crucial part of the application process, as it allows you to showcase your qualifications and convince the selection committee of your suitability for the program. It is your chance to stand out from other applicants and make a strong case for why you should be selected for the internship.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for writing a CERN internship personal statement?

Yes, CERN provides specific guidelines for writing a personal statement for their internship program. These guidelines can usually be found on their website or in the application materials. It is important to follow these guidelines carefully and ensure that your personal statement is well-written, concise, and tailored to the specific requirements of the program.

5. How can I make my CERN internship personal statement stand out?

To make your CERN internship personal statement stand out, you should focus on highlighting your relevant skills, experiences, and achievements. Be specific and provide concrete examples to demonstrate your qualifications and how they align with the goals of the internship program. Additionally, make sure to proofread and edit your personal statement to ensure it is error-free and well-written.