Chain Link Problem? [Tension Forces; Newton's Third Law]

In summary: F = maFg = mg = (0.2 kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 1.96NƩF = ma = (0.2 kg)(5m/s^2) = 1N3N - 1.96N - 1N = 0.04NI calculated total force to be 3N by...ƩF = maFg = mg = (0.2 kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 1.96NƩF = ma = (0.2 kg)(5m/s^2) = 1N3N - 1.96N -
harujina

Homework Statement

A chain of three links, each with a mass 0.2 kg, is being pulled up by a person lifting the top link with 8.88 N of force and the chain accelerates upward. Calculate three forces that are acting on the middle link while the chain is accelerating.

Homework Equations

ƩF = ma
Fg (weight) = mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram showing tension force pulling up by 8.88 N and the weight, Fg, pulling the chain down. I calculated Fg = mTg (total mass of chain) = (0.6 kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 5.88 N.
By the way, is it right for me to assume the mass of the middle link = total mass of the chain (0.2 kg*3 = 0.6 kg)?

So, I have found two forces, I believe... and I'm not too sure on what the third force would be.
I've learned about the internal forces of each object if they are acting on one another but I'm not sure if that's it, or how to calculate it.

Oh, and I found acceleration by a = ƩF/m = 3 N/0.6 kg = 5 m/s^2, if what I have done above is correct.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi harujina! :smile:
harujina said:
I drew a free body diagram showing tension force pulling up by 8.88 N and the weight, Fg, pulling the chain down.

no

a free body diagram shows all the external forces acting (directly) on one body, and that body is the middle link only
… is it right for me to assume the mass of the middle link = total mass of the chain (0.2 kg*3 = 0.6 kg)?

no, the weight (as an external force for the free body diagram) is the external force acting directly on the link, ie the weight of the link only
I've learned about the internal forces of each object if they are acting on one another but I'm not sure if that's it …

internal forces on one body can be external forces on a smaller body

a free body diagram for a large body will not show the forces between the parts, because they are internal

a free body diagram for one part will show the forces between the parts, because they are external :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi harujina! :smile:no

a free body diagram shows all the external forces acting (directly) on one body, and that body is the middle link onlyno, the weight (as an external force for the free body diagram) is the external force acting directly on the link, ie the weight of the link onlyinternal forces on one body can be external forces on a smaller body

a free body diagram for a large body will not show the forces between the parts, because they are internal

a free body diagram for one part will show the forces between the parts, because they are external :wink:
hi :)

I remember my teacher taught us that you could draw a fbd of combined objects in order to determine acceleration, like what I have done above. Is this incorrect?

Ok, so before I adjust anything I want to make sure I understand this because it's confusing me a lot. A fbd for a large body will not show forces between the parts, but in this case aren't the chains all equal in mass? So would the tension force just equally divide amongst the three links?

harujina said:
I remember my teacher taught us that you could draw a fbd of combined objects in order to determine acceleration, like what I have done above.
That's fine, and you got the right acceleration, but next you need an FBD for the middle link only.
the mass of the middle link = total mass of the chain
Did you leave something out there?

haruspex said:
That's fine, and you got the right acceleration, but next you need an FBD for the middle link only.

Did you leave something out there?
Wait, would applied force on the middle link be 8.88 N/3 (the three links) = 2.96 N?
and mass of the middle link would just be 0.2 kg?

On another note, thank you so much for your constant help, haruspex! I really appreciate it.

harujina said:
Oh, and I found acceleration by a = ƩF/m = 3 N/0.6 kg = 5 m/s^2, if what I have done above is correct.

where does the 3N come from? :confused:
harujina said:
I remember my teacher taught us that you could draw a fbd of combined objects in order to determine acceleration, like what I have done above. Is this incorrect?

that's correct: you can draw a free body diagram for a large body (and it will not show t the internal forces)

however, the question asks "Calculate three forces that are acting on the middle link while the chain is accelerating", so you need a free body diagram for the middle link on its own

A fbd for a large body will not show forces between the parts, but in this case aren't the chains all equal in mass? So would the tension force just equally divide amongst the three links?

no

if you draw a proper free body diagram for the middle link, you'll see why

have you drawn it? what does it show?

harujina said:
Wait, would applied force on the middle link be 8.88 N/3 (the three links) = 2.96 N?
and mass of the middle link would just be 0.2 kg?

On another note, thank you so much for your constant help, haruspex! I really appreciate it.
You are asked for three forces. Draw the FBD. What three forces are there?
(... and you're welcome :biggrin:)

tiny-tim said:

where does the 3N come from? :confused:

that's correct: you can draw a free body diagram for a large body (and it will not show t the internal forces)

however, the question asks "Calculate three forces that are acting on the middle link while the chain is accelerating", so you need a free body diagram for the middle link on its own

no

if you draw a proper free body diagram for the middle link, you'll see why

have you drawn it? what does it show?

haruspex said:
You are asked for three forces. Draw the FBD. What three forces are there?
(... and you're welcome :biggrin:)

I calculated total force to be 3N by ƩF = Fa - Fg = 8.88 N - 5.88 N.

Ok, to answer the question I will use link A = top link, link B = middle link, and link C = bottom link.
As for the fbd of the link B, I don't know if this is right at all but would it be...
Fa (applied force of 8.88 N; pulling up), aFb (force exerted by link A on link B; also pulling up) and cFb (force exerted by link C on link B; pushing down)?

[EDIT]: Wait, but there's also Fg (weight; pulling down) isn't there :confused:

Last edited:
harujina said:
Ok, to answer the question I will use link A = top link, link B = middle link, and link C = bottom link.
As for the fbd of the link B, I don't know if this is right at all but would it be...
Fa (applied force of 8.88 N; pulling up), aFb (force exerted by link A on link B; also pulling up) and cFb (force exerted by link C on link B; pushing down)?

How is B aware of the 8.88N force?

harujina said:
I calculated total force to be 3N by ƩF = Fa - Fg = 8.88 N - 5.88 N.
oh of course … yes, that's the correct acceleration, then :smile:

"Fa (applied force of 8.88 N; pulling up)" is wrong: it's not a direct force on the middle link, so it doesn't get mentioned at all :wink:

Fa would be shown on an fbd for the top link, or for the whole body of three links, but not for the middle link (or the bottom link)

and yes, an Fg should be on the fbd for the middle link …

how much should it be?​

haruspex said:
How is B aware of the 8.88N force?

tiny-tim said:
"Fa (applied force of 8.88 N; pulling up)" is wrong: it's not a direct force on the middle link, so it doesn't get mentioned at all :wink:

Fa would be shown on an fbd for the top link, or for the whole body of three links, but not for the middle link (or the bottom link)

and yes, an Fg should be on the fbd for the middle link …

how much should it be?​
Oh, I'm starting to get it now.
Fg (of middle link)= mg; = (0.2 kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 1.96 N; correct?
So now if I want to determine aFb and cFb, would I have to draw fbd's for the top and bottom link as well?

Last edited:
harujina said:
Oh, I'm starting to get it now.
Fg (of middle link)= mg; = (0.2 kg)(9.8m/s^2) = 1.96 N; correct?

correct :smile:
So now if I want to determine aFb and cFb, would I have to draw fbd's for the top and bottom link as well?

yup! :biggrin:

hint: start with the bottom one … it's easier! :wink:

Likes 1 person
tiny-tim said:
correct :smile:

yup! :biggrin:

hint: start with the bottom one … it's easier! :wink:
Thank you so much! Can you just see if I'm on the right track?
So, the forces acting on the bottom link are Fg and bFc (force exerted by middle link on bottom link; pulling up). The ƩF = (0.2 kg)(5 m/s^2) = 1N, so cFb (force exerted by bottom link on middle link; pulling down) = 1N?

And this is what I got for the top link:
ƩF = Fa (applied force of 8.88 N) - Fg (1.96 N) - bFa (force exerted by middle link on top link; pulling down)
bFa = Fa - Fg - ƩF
bFa = (8.88 N) - (1.96 N) - (1 N); = 5.92 N, so aFb = 5.92 N?

Last edited:
harujina said:
Thank you so much! Can you just see if I'm on the right track?
So, the forces acting on the bottom link are Fg and bFc (force exerted by middle link on bottom link; pulling up). The ƩF = (0.2 kg)(5 m/s^2) = 1N, so cFb (force exerted by bottom link on middle link; pulling down) = 1N?
You forgot Fg.
And this is what I got for the top link:
ƩF = Fa (applied force of 8.88 N) - Fg (1.96 N) - bFa (force exerted by middle link on top link; pulling down)
bFa = Fa - Fg - ƩF
bFa = (8.88 N) - (1.96 N) - (1 N); = 5.92 N, so aFb = 5.92 N?
Yes, that looks right.

haruspex said:
You forgot Fg.
Whoops...

ƩF = (0.2 kg)(5 m/s^2) = 1N
ƩF = bFc - Fg; = Fg + ƩF; = (1.96 N) + (1 N) = 2.96 N so cFb (force exerted by bottom link on middle link; pulling down) = 2.96 N
Is this ok?

harujina said:
Whoops...

ƩF = (0.2 kg)(5 m/s^2) = 1N
ƩF = bFc - Fg; = Fg + ƩF; = (1.96 N) + (1 N) = 2.96 N so cFb (force exerted by bottom link on middle link; pulling down) = 2.96 N
Is this ok?

Yes.

Likes 1 person

What is the Chain Link Problem?

The Chain Link Problem is a physics problem that involves analyzing the forces acting on a chain that is suspended between two supports. This problem is often used to illustrate the concept of tension forces and Newton's Third Law.

What are tension forces?

Tension forces are pulling forces that act along the length of a rope, string, or cable. In the Chain Link Problem, tension forces arise from the weight of the chain and the reaction forces from the supports. These forces are transmitted through the chain and are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction at each link.

What is Newton's Third Law?

Newton's Third Law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In the context of the Chain Link Problem, this means that the tension forces at each link in the chain are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, as they are a reaction to the weight of the chain and the reaction forces from the supports.

How can the Chain Link Problem be solved?

The Chain Link Problem can be solved by using the principles of equilibrium and Newton's Third Law. This involves setting up and solving equations that consider the forces acting on each link of the chain in both the horizontal and vertical directions. These equations can then be used to calculate the tension forces at each link and determine the overall shape of the chain.

What is the significance of the Chain Link Problem?

The Chain Link Problem is a useful demonstration of the principles of tension forces and Newton's Third Law, which are important concepts in the study of physics. It also has real-world applications, such as in the design and analysis of suspension bridges, where the forces acting on the cables must be carefully considered to ensure the structural integrity of the bridge.