Understanding the Third Law of Newton — How can the forces be equal?

In summary, the third law of motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that in every interaction, there is a pair of forces acting on the two objects, with the force on the first object equal in magnitude to the force on the second object. The equation F=ma represents the relationship between force, mass, and acceleration, and while the masses of the two objects do affect the magnitude of the force, both forces in the pair are still equal. This concept is important in understanding conservation of momentum.
chucho11028
Homework Statement
understanding
Relevant Equations
n/a
Hello guys,
The third law says:
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The statement means that in every interaction, there is a pair of forces acting on the two interacting objects. The size of the forces on the first object equals the size of the force on the second object. "
so my question is about this statement:
The size of the forces on the first object equals the size of the force on the second object.
I know that:
F= a*m

But If I have 2 object with different masses, how is possible these two force are equal?
who determines the force? the masses or aceleration? however, a and m are part of the equation. How is possible the mass is not affecting?
For instance, the moon and the earth, two different masses but according to the 3th law, the forces must be the same, how is possible?

I will appreciate you guide me here

Physics news on Phys.org
chucho11028 said:
Homework Statement:: understanding
Relevant Equations:: n/a

Hello guys,
The third law says:
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. The statement means that in every interaction, there is a pair of forces acting on the two interacting objects. The size of the forces on the first object equals the size of the force on the second object. "
so my question is about this statement:
The size of the forces on the first object equals the size of the force on the second object.
I know that:
F= a*m

But If I have 2 object with different masses, how is possible these two force are equal?
who determines the force? the masses or aceleration? however, a and m are part of the equation. How is possible the mass is not affecting?
For instance, the moon and the earth, two different masses but according to the 3th law, the forces must be the same, how is possible?

I will appreciate you guide me here

It's a law of nature. The real question is: "why is it not possible"?

If you stopped the Earth and Moon, they would fall towards each other. The force on each would be the same. How is that not possible?

PeroK said:
It's a law of nature. The real question is: "why is it not possible"?

If you stopped the Earth and Moon, they would fall towards each other. The force on each would be the same. How is that not possible?
I appreciate you took your time for answering but to be honest, it is not enought. I would like to know why the mass is not affceting this force
Regards,

chucho11028 said:
While, per Newton's 3rd and our understanding of gravity, the force is the same on each, that doesn't mean that the acceleration is the same. The same force can have a different "effect" on different bodies.

chucho11028 said:
I appreciate you took your time for answering but to be honest, it is not enought. I would like to know why the mass is not affceting this force
Regards,

The product of the two masses does affect the magnitude of the force, specifically ##F \propto m_1 m_2##. But both forces in the pair have the same magnitude.

Conservation of momentum can be derived from the fact that the magnitudes of these two forces are equal, and their directions opposite.

Likes chucho11028
chucho11028 said:
Regards,
Let's imagine that the Moon was one particle and the Earth was 100 particles. All the same mass. The force between the Moon and any of the 100 Earth particles is the same both ways. Let this force be ##F##.

1) The total force on the Moon is ##100 \times F##.

2) The total force on the Earth is ##100 \times F##.

• Love
Likes chucho11028 and etotheipi
the equation F=ma is not a definition of F

• Skeptical
Likes jbriggs444, SammyS and chucho11028
wrobel said:
the equation F=ma is not a definition of F
I see, I think I start to udnerstand it. Thanks for your observation

1. What is the Third Law of Newton?

The Third Law of Newton states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object will exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

2. How can forces be equal?

Forces can be equal when they have the same magnitude and are acting in opposite directions. This is known as the principle of action and reaction, which is the basis of the Third Law of Newton.

3. Can forces be unequal in the Third Law of Newton?

No, according to the Third Law of Newton, forces are always equal and opposite. This means that even if one object exerts a greater force on another object, the second object will still exert an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

4. How does the Third Law of Newton apply to real-life situations?

The Third Law of Newton can be observed in many real-life situations, such as when a person walks on the ground, the ground exerts an equal and opposite force back on the person's feet, allowing them to move forward. It also applies to objects in motion, such as a rocket pushing against the ground to launch into space.

5. Can the Third Law of Newton be violated?

No, the Third Law of Newton is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. It is a universal principle that applies to all objects and interactions in the universe.