Chain rule for product of functions

In summary: I guess there is no wayIn summary, the question involves finding the derivative of f(g(x)) using both the product rule and the composition/chain rule. The confusion arises when trying to find df/dg, with one person suggesting it is h(x) and another suggesting it is h'(x). Ultimately, the correct derivative is found to be h(x) + yh'(g^-1(y))/g'(g^-1(y)), which can also be obtained directly from the initial equation by differentiating both sides with respect to x.
smath42
Here is a simple question :

let f(g(x)) = h(x)*g(x).

I want to calculate df/dx.

If I use the product rule, I get g(x)h'(x) + h(x)g'x).

Now if I use the composition/chain rule, I get

df/dx = df/dg * dg/dx = h(x) * g'(x) which is different.

I guess my df/dg = h is wrong, but I can't see what it should be.

Any help is welcome:-)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't want to double up on ##x##, so let's use ##y##.
What is ##f(y)## in the question? What is it's derivative?

that's where I'm confused...
my first thought that in f(g(x)) f(y) is the function that multiplies y by h(x). therefore if I derivate with respect to y, I get h(x). Which apparently is wrong...

no your question replaces x by y, which in fact doesn't really change anything so I'd say
f(y) obviously equals to h(y)g(y) so its derivative is h'(y)g(y)+g'(y)h(y)...

now I'm again confused

smath42 said:
f(y) obviously equals to h(y)g(y)

This is wrong.

humm... so you've seen where my problem is... what's f ?

are there 2 f ? the one if f(x) = h(x)*g(x) and the one if f(g(x)) ?

smath42 said:
that's where I'm confused...
my first thought that in f(g(x)) f(y) is the function that multiplies y by h(x). therefore if I derivate with respect to y, I get h(x). Which apparently is wrong...

no your question replaces x by y, which in fact doesn't really change anything so I'd say
f(y) obviously equals to h(y)g(y) so its derivative is h'(y)g(y)+g'(y)h(y)...

now I'm again confused

Yes, you've got yourself into a terrible tangle here! If you define another function:

##k(x) = f(g(x)) = h(x)g(x)##

You may be able to see the problem. ##f(x) \ne k(x)##

OK I see that now, but I'm still in trouble to calculate df/dg. I'd like to say f(u) = h(x)*u but then again I end up with h(x) for df/dg

Instead of trying ##k(x) = (f \circ g)(x) = h(x) \cdot g(x)## start with something simpler ##k(x) = (f \circ g)(x) = (l \circ g) (x) \cdot g(x)##

hum...
then here too, I can't find what l is although I see l(g(x)) should be h(x)

Could you guys explain me what is f here please.
I don't know why but I really have trouble seing where is the composition here

smath42 said:
Could you guys explain me what is f here please.
I don't know why but I really have trouble seing where is the composition here

It's easier if you set ##y = g(x)##, so that ##x = g^{-1}(y)##:

##f(y) = f(g(x)) = h(x)g(x) = h(g^{-1}(y))y##

hum ok I can now do

f'(y) = h(g^{-1}(y)) + yg^{-1}'(y)h'(g^{-1}(y)) = h(x) + yh'(g^{-1}(y))/g'(g^{-1}(y))
then g'df/dy = g'h+hg'

ok... thanks !

smath42 said:
hum ok I can now do

f'(y) = h(g^{-1}(y)) + yg^{-1}'(y)h'(g^{-1}(y)) = h(x) + yh'(g^{-1}(y))/g'(g^{-1}(y))
then g'df/dy = g'h+hg'

ok... thanks !

You could have got that directly from the initial equation:

##f(g(x)) = h(x)g(x) \ \Rightarrow \ f'(g(x))g'(x) = h'(x)g(x) + h(x)g'(x)##

I'm sorry I must have a very slow mind today but I don't see exactly why the implication and the second equality.

smath42 said:
I'm sorry I must have a very slow mind today but I don't see exactly why the implication and the second equality.

Simply differentiate both sides wrt ##x##.

ah ok :-D
I was trying to see how one could find h'g+hg' from f'(g)*g' "only"

1. What is the chain rule for product of functions?

The chain rule for product of functions is a mathematical rule used to find the derivative of a function that is a product of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of the product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. When do you use the chain rule for product of functions?

The chain rule for product of functions is used when finding the derivative of a function that is a product of two or more functions. It is especially useful when one or more of the functions are composed of multiple nested functions.

3. How do you apply the chain rule for product of functions?

To apply the chain rule for product of functions, you first identify the individual functions that make up the product. Then, you take the derivative of each function separately and multiply them together. Finally, you add the results together to get the final derivative.

4. Can the chain rule for product of functions be applied to more than two functions?

Yes, the chain rule for product of functions can be applied to any number of functions that make up the product. Each individual function would have to be differentiated and their derivatives multiplied together, and then added to get the final result.

5. How is the chain rule for product of functions related to the chain rule for composite functions?

The chain rule for product of functions is a special case of the chain rule for composite functions. The chain rule for composite functions is used to find the derivative of a function composed of two or more nested functions, while the chain rule for product of functions is used to find the derivative of a function that is a product of two or more functions. Both rules involve taking derivatives of individual functions and multiplying them together.