Extract a derivative from an equation

• I
  • Thread starter Malamala
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary, the equations show that the partial derivatives of the function ##g## wrt each of its arguments can be expressed in terms of the third-order partial derivatives of the function ##f##, which are assumed to be known.
Malamala
Hello! This if from a physics paper but I will write it as abstract as I can. We have a function ##f(g(a),a)## and we know that f is minimized with respect to g for any given a i.e. $$\frac{df}{dg}|_a=0$$ As this is true for any a, we have $$\frac{d}{da}\frac{df}{dg}|_a=0$$ from which we get: $$\frac{\partial}{\partial a}(\frac{df}{dg})+\frac{d^2f}{dg^2}\frac{dg}{da}|_a=0$$ And from here ##\frac{dg}{da}## can be easily extracted (which is what I need), in terms of the other derivatives (which are assumed to be known). (Here is the actual physics paper from which I simplified the equations, for reference, equations 20-23). Now I want to extent the same analysis to one more variable i.e. ##f(g(a,b),a,b)## and find an expression for ##\frac{\partial g}{\partial a}## and ##\frac{\partial g}{\partial b}## (with the same minimization assumptions) but I am kinda stuck. I tried to follow the same approach i.e. $$\frac{df}{dg}|_{a,b}=0$$ from which I would get $$\frac{\partial}{\partial a}\frac{df}{dg}|_{a,b}=0$$ and $$\frac{\partial}{\partial b}\frac{df}{dg}|_{a,b}=0$$ But I am not sure what to do from here. I guess I am writing the new equations the wrong way, but I am not sure what to do. Can someone help me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is difficult to express with the Leibniz-style notation for partial derivatives: ##\frac d{dx}, \frac\partial{\partial x}##. So let's switch notation to one that specifically indicates the number of which argument we are differentiating against. The operator ##D{}_k## denotes partial differentiation of a function wrt its ##k##-th argument. Where there is only one argument we can drop the subscript and just write ##D{}##. That notation makes writing the problem easier.

First let's rewrite the first problem:

We have functions ##f:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R## and ##g:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R##.

The first equation in the OP can be written as:

$$\forall a:\ \ (D{}_1 f) (g(a),a)= 0$$

and the second equation is:

$$\forall a:\ \ (D{} h)(a) = 0$$

where ##h:\mathbb R\to \mathbb R## is defined as ##h(x)=(D{}_1 f)(g(x),x)##, that is, the function ##(D{}_1 f):\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R## applied to the arguments ##g(x)## and ##x##.

We can rewrite that last equation by applying the total derivative rule, as:

$$0 = (D{} h)(a)
= (D{}_1 (D{}_1 f))(g(a),a)\cdot (D{} g)(a)
+(D{}_2(D{}_1 f))(g(a),a)
$$
whence we deduce the wanted result:
$$(D{} g)(a)
= - \frac{(D{}_2D{}_1 f)(g(a),a)}
{(D{}_1 D{}_1 f)(g(a),a)}
$$

Now let's apply the same procedure to the extended case, using functions ##f:\mathbb R^3\to\mathbb R## and ##g:\mathbb R^2\to\mathbb R##.

First equation is:
$$\forall a,b:\ \ (D{}_1 f) (g(a,b),a,b)= 0$$
The second equation is a pair:
$$\forall a:\ \ (D{} h_a)(a) = 0$$
$$\forall b:\ \ (D{} h_b)(b) = 0$$
where functions ##h_a,h_b:\mathbb R\to\mathbb R## are defined by:
$$h_a(x) = (D{}_1 f)(g(x,b),x,b)$$
that is, the function ##(D{}_1 f):\mathbb R^3\to\mathbb R## applied to the arguments ##g(x,b)##, ##x## and ##b##;

and

$$h_b(x) = (D{}_1 f)(g(a,x),a,x)$$
that is, the function ##(D{}_1 f):\mathbb R^3\to\mathbb R## applied to the arguments ##g(a,x)##, ##a## and ##x##.

We expand the pair of equations using the total derivative rule, to get:
$$0 = (D{} h_a)(x)
= (D{}_1 (D{}_1 f))(g(x,b),x,b)\cdot (D{}_1 g)(x,b)
+(D{}_2(D{}_1 f))(g(x,b),x,b)
$$
and
$$0 = (D{} h_b)(x)
= (D{}_1 (D{}_1 f))(g(a,x),a,x)\cdot (D{}_2 g)(a,x)
+(D{}_3(D{}_1 f))(g(a,x),a,x)
$$
whence we deduce the wanted results:
$$(D{}_1 g)(a,b)
= - \frac{(D{}_2D{}_1 f)(g(a,b),a,b)}
{(D{}_1 D{}_1 f)(g(a,b),a,b)}
$$
and
$$(D{}_2 g)(a,b)
= - \frac{(D{}_3D{}_1 f)(g(a,b),a,b)}
{ (D{}_1 D{}_1 f)(g(a,b),a,b)}
$$

noting that we have replaced ##x## by ##a## in the first equation and ##b## in the second.

The insights article here explains the confusion that is frequently created by the Leibniz notation for partial derivatives, and proposes the system used in this post as a means of clearing up the confusion.

Likes sysprog

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is essentially the slope of a tangent line to the curve of a function at that point.

2. How do you extract a derivative from an equation?

To extract a derivative from an equation, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule. These are different methods for finding the derivative of a function based on its algebraic form.

3. Why is finding the derivative important?

Finding the derivative allows us to analyze the behavior of a function and understand how it changes over time. It is used in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and predict real-world phenomena.

4. Can you give an example of extracting a derivative from an equation?

For example, if we have the equation f(x) = 2x^2 + 3x, we can use the power rule to find the derivative: f'(x) = 4x + 3. This tells us that the slope of the tangent line to the curve of f(x) at any point is equal to 4x + 3.

5. Are there any shortcuts for extracting a derivative?

Yes, there are some common derivatives that can be memorized to make the process quicker. These include the derivatives of basic functions such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. However, it is important to understand the underlying principles and rules in order to apply them correctly.