Chain rule violated for arc length?

In summary: However, to summarize, the chain rule for arc length only works for a monotonic parameter change, meaning that the parameter is always increasing. This is because the arc length is a positive quantity and it wouldn't make sense for it to be negative. Therefore, the chain rule has to be modified to account for this fact.
ajain
->ds/dt where s is the arc length in cartesian coordinates is ((dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2)^(1/2).

-> Therefore by the chain rule ds/dt = ds/dp * dp/dt, but if I substitute dx/dt=dx/dp* dp/dt and dy/dt= dy/dp* dp/dt in the formula above, I get ds/dt=ds/dp * |dp/dt|??
What is happening?

->Even by elementary thinking, ds/dt and ds/dp are always positive whereas dp/dt need not always be. So, how is the chain rule being followed here?
Please explain. I have spent a full evening thinking over this.

Physics news on Phys.org
It only works for a monotonic parameter changes, i.e. [itex]p = p(t)[/itex] is a monotonic increasing function. Otherwise, you run into the trouble that different values of t give back one and the same value of p, so p is not a good parameter of the curve.

Under these circumstances, it works like this:
[tex]
\frac{ds}{dt} = \sqrt{ \left( \frac{dx}{dt} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{dy}{dt} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{dz}{dt} \right)^2 }
[/tex]
[tex]
= \sqrt{ \left( \frac{dx}{d t} \, \frac{d p}{d t} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{d y}{d t} \, \frac{d p} {d t} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{d z}{d t} \, \frac{d p} {d t} \right)^2}
[/tex]
[tex]
= \sqrt{ \left( \frac{d p}{d t} \right)^2 \, \left[ \left( \frac{dx}{dp} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{dy}{dp} \right)^2 + \left( \frac{dz}{dp} \right)^2 \right]}
[/tex]
[tex]
= \left\vert \frac{d p}{d t} \right\vert \, \frac{d s}{d p} = \frac{d p}{d t} \, \frac{d s}{d p}, \ p'(t) > 0
[/tex]

I know what you wrote! that, was my question itself.
The chain rule, in ordinary circumstances does not require monotonic parametrization, but for the arc length ,it does, so what is the reason for this apparent difference?

ajain said:
I know what you wrote! that, was my question itself.
The chain rule, in ordinary circumstances does not require monotonic parametrization, but for the arc length ,it does, so what is the reason for this apparent difference?

It would not make sense if this quantity were negative.

Arc-length is always a positive quantity when we are dealing with proper metrics. The arc-length is strictly an increasing function as you would expect from measuring the change in length of a string with respect to time even if it is transformed.

Dickfore did a good job of showing this mathematically and did a good job of answering your question.

1. What is the chain rule and how does it apply to arc length?

The chain rule is a calculus rule that allows us to find the derivative of a composite function. In the case of arc length, we can use the chain rule to find the derivative of a curve in terms of its arc length.

2. Can the chain rule be violated for arc length?

Yes, the chain rule can be violated for arc length when the curve in question is not differentiable. In this case, the derivative of the curve in terms of its arc length cannot be defined.

3. How do we know if the chain rule is violated for arc length?

If the curve is not differentiable at a certain point, the chain rule is violated for arc length. This can also be seen by the presence of a vertical tangent line at that point.

4. What are the consequences of the chain rule being violated for arc length?

If the chain rule is violated for arc length, we cannot use the traditional method of finding the derivative of a curve in terms of its arc length. This can make it more difficult to solve certain problems involving arc length.

5. How can we overcome the violation of the chain rule for arc length?

In some cases, we can use a different method, such as the parametric form of the chain rule, to find the derivative of a curve in terms of its arc length. However, in other cases, it may not be possible to overcome the violation of the chain rule and we must find alternative methods for solving the problem.