Chain rule with functional derivative

In summary, the functional derivative of a function containing a functional like this natural log one is given by \frac{\delta}{\delta h(s')} \textrm{ln}(F[h]) = \frac{1}{F[h]}\frac{\delta F[h]}{\delta h(s')}
jfitz
Given that

[tex]F = \int{f[h(s),s]ds}[/tex]

does

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial h}ln(F)=\frac{1}{F}\frac{\delta F}{\delta h}=\frac{1}{F}\frac{\partial f}{\partial h}[/tex]

?

Physics news on Phys.org
jfitz said:
Given that

[tex]F = \int{f[h(s),s]ds}[/tex]

does

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial h}ln(F)=\frac{1}{F}\frac{\delta F}{\delta h}=\frac{1}{F}\frac{\partial f}{\partial h}[/tex]

?

I don't think that means anything now. Shouldn't you be calculating

[tex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta h(s')} \textrm{ln}(F)
[/tex]

with some fixed [tex]s'[/tex]?

jostpuur said:
I don't think that means anything now. Shouldn't you be calculating

[tex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta h(s')} \textrm{ln}(F)
[/tex]

with some fixed [tex]s'[/tex]?
If so, then is

[tex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta h(s')} \textrm{ln}(F) = \frac{1}{F[h(s')]}\frac{\delta F}{\delta h(s')}
[/tex]

?Basically I'm not sure if the same kind of chain rule applies to functional derivatives as to regular ones. I haven't been able to find an example of a derivative of a function containing a functional like this natural log one.

jfitz said:
If so, then is

[tex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta h(s')} \textrm{ln}(F) = \frac{1}{F[h(s')]}\frac{\delta F}{\delta h(s')}
[/tex]

?

[tex]
\frac{\delta}{\delta h(s')} \textrm{ln}(F[h]) = \frac{1}{F[h]}\frac{\delta F[h]}{\delta h(s')}
[/tex]

F depends only on the mapping h, not on variable s. It seems to be okey to leave the parameter [tex]h[/tex] (which is a mapping itself) out, and write [tex]F=F[h][/tex], but [tex]F[h(s')][/tex] would not make sense.

It's like here. If you have [tex]f:\mathbb{R}^3\to\mathbb{R}[/tex], and [tex]x\in\mathbb{R}^3[/tex], then you can write [tex]f(x)[/tex], but [tex]f(x_3)[/tex] (from [tex]x=(x_1,x_2,x_3)[/tex]) would not make sense.

Basically I'm not sure if the same kind of chain rule applies to functional derivatives as to regular ones. I haven't been able to find an example of a derivative of a function containing a functional like this natural log one.

I have the same problem. I have never encountered a good source on functional differentiation. I can merely calculate, which is often enough, though. If you keep your head clear about simple things like what are parameters for each function, there are not many alternatives left for calculation rules.

Thanks

Couldn't one take the mathematical definition on the Wikipedia page I linked, and then prove whether the chain rule is valid or not? I think it would be analogous to proving the chain rule for ordinary derivatives via the limit definition of the derivative:

[tex]\frac{df}{dx} = \lim_{\Delta x \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x + \Delta x) - f(x)}{\Delta x}[/tex]

I would have done this yesterday for you, but I have other stuff I need to do right now.

1. What is the chain rule with functional derivative?

The chain rule with functional derivative is a mathematical tool used in calculus to calculate the derivative of a composite function where the inner function is a functional derivative.

2. How is the chain rule with functional derivative different from the regular chain rule?

The chain rule with functional derivative is different from the regular chain rule because it involves functional derivatives, which are functions of functions, rather than ordinary derivatives which are functions of numbers.

3. When is the chain rule with functional derivative used?

The chain rule with functional derivative is used in various fields of science and engineering, particularly in the study of functional equations, optimal control theory, and variational problems.

4. What is an example of the chain rule with functional derivative?

An example of the chain rule with functional derivative is the Euler-Lagrange equation, which is used to find the stationary points of a functional. It involves taking the functional derivative of a functional with respect to its variable and setting it equal to zero.

5. How does the chain rule with functional derivative relate to the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The chain rule with functional derivative is a generalization of the fundamental theorem of calculus, which relates the integral of a function to its derivative. The chain rule with functional derivative extends this concept to the integration of functionals, which are functions of functions.