1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Challenge 8: Sub-Gaussian Variables

1. Nov 25, 2013 #1

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A random variable X is called sub-gaussian if
    [tex] P( |X| > t) \leq 2e^{-K t^2} [/tex]
    for some constant K. Equivalently, the probability density p(x) is sub-gaussian if
    [tex] \int_{-t}^{t} p(x) dx \geq 1 - 2 e^{-Kt^2}. [/tex]

The challenge: Prove that the standard normal distribution (with mean 0 and variance 1) is sub-gaussian.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I haven't found a solution yet, but here's a method that might be useful.

The standard normal distribution has the following probability density function:
    $$p(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} e^{-x^2/2}$$
    Therefore we wish to prove that there exists some ##K## such that
    $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} r_t(x) p(x) dx \geq 1 - 2e^{-Kt^2}$$
    where
    $$r_t(x) = \begin{cases}
    1 & \text{ if }|x| < t \\
    0 & \text{ if }|x| > t\\
    \end{cases}$$
    Note that in general, the integral of a function is equal to its Fourier transform evaluated at zero:
    $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x) dx = \left. \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) e^{-2\pi i u x} dx \right|_{u = 0} = \hat{f}(0)$$
    where ##\hat{f}## is the Fourier transform of ##f##:
    $$\hat{f}(u) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}f(x) e^{-2\pi i u x} dx$$
    We may therefore express our desired integral (let's call it ##I##) in terms of Fourier transforms:
    $$I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} r_t(x) p(x) dx = \widehat{r_t p}(0)$$
    where ##\widehat{r_t p}## is the Fourier transform of the product ##r_t p##. It's easy to show that the Fourier transform of a product is equal to the convolution of the Fourier transforms of the factors:
    $$\widehat{r_t p}(u) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \widehat{r_t}(u-v)\widehat{p}(v) dv$$
    Evaluating at ##u = 0##, we get
    $$I = \widehat{r_t p}(0) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \widehat{r_t}(-v) \widehat{p}(v) dv$$
    Let us now compute ##\widehat{r_t}## and ##\widehat{p}##. Starting with the definition of the Fourier transform, we obtain
    $$\begin{align}
    \widehat{r_t}(v) &= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} r_t(x) e^{-2\pi i v x} dx \\
    &= \int_{-t}^{t} e^{-2\pi i v x} dx \\
    &= \int_{-t}^{t} \cos(2\pi v x) dx \\
    &= 2 \int_{0}^{t} \cos(2\pi v x) dx \\
    &= \left. 2 \frac{\sin(2\pi v x)}{2\pi v} \right|_{x = 0}^{x = t} \\
    &= 2 \frac{\sin(2 \pi v t)}{2\pi v} \\
    &= \frac{\sin(2\pi v t)}{\pi v}\\
    \end{align}$$
    Note that the result is an even function of ##v##, i.e., ##\widehat{r_t}(-v) = \widehat{r_t}(v)##, so we can simplify our expression for ##I## to
    $$I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \widehat{r_t}(v) \widehat{p}(v) dv$$
    Next we calculate ##\hat{p}##, again starting from the definition. We have
    $$\begin{align}
    \hat{p}(v) &= \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} p(x) e^{-2 \pi i v x} dx \\
    &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2/2}e^{-2\pi i v x} dx\\
    &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2} (x^2 + 4\pi i v x)\right)dx \\
    &= \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2} 4 \pi^2 v^2\right) \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2} (x + 2\pi i v)^2\right) dx \\
    &= \exp\left(-\frac{1}{2} 4 \pi^2 v^2\right) \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \cdot \sqrt{2\pi} \\
    &= \exp(-2\pi^2 v^2)
    \end{align}$$
    Plugging the expressions for ##\widehat{r_t}## and ##\hat{p}## into our integral, we obtain
    $$I = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\widehat{r_t}(v) \widehat{p}(v) dv =
    \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{\sin(2\pi v t)}{\pi v} \exp(-2\pi^2 v^2) dv$$
    Now if I can find the right lower bound for the integrand as a function of ##v## and ##t##, the result might follow. Or I could be barking up the wrong tree.

Intuitively, as ##t## increases, ##\sin(2\pi v t)/(\pi v)## becomes a taller and skinnier function centered at ##v = 0##, although with tails that decay on the order of ##1/v##, so the oscillations are important! Most of the value of ##I## is hopefully determined by the part spanned by the "main peak" of ##\sin(2\pi v t)/(\pi v)##, which is the part for which ##|v| < 1/(2t)##.

I think it's true that
    $$I > \int_{-1/t}^{1/t} \frac{\sin(2\pi v t)}{\pi v} \exp(-2\pi^2 v^2) dv$$
    because outside the interval ##[-1/t, 1/t]## you could approximate the integrand as an alternating series whose first term is positive.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  4. Nov 30, 2013 #3
    Let's try this.

We wish to prove that ##\displaystyle 1\leq\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int\limits_{[0,t]}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}\mathrm{d}x+2e^{-kt^2}=f(t)##.

Attempt 1:
    Expanding by power series, we get $$\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int\limits_{[0,t]}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}\mathrm{d}x=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\sum_{0\leq n}\frac{(-1)^n t^{2n+1}}{2^n(2n+1)n!}.$$

For ##2e^{-kt^2}##, we expand and get ##\displaystyle 2e^{-kt^2}=2\sum_{m\geq 0}\frac{(-1)^mk^mt^{2m}}{m!}##.

Let ##k=\frac{1}{2}## for ease of notation. After a myriad of simplifications and a couple series manipulations which I am not going to LaTeX out, we just need to prove $$1\leq 2\sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n}(t+\sqrt{2\pi}(2n+1))}{\sqrt{2\pi}2^n(2n+1)n!}.$$

By properties of alternating series, I'm pretty sure that one can show the RHS is always greater than 1.

Attempt 2:
    Note that $$\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int\limits_{[0,t]}e^{-\frac{x^2}{2}}\mathrm{d}x+2e^{-kt^2}\right)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}e^{-\frac{1}{2}t^2}-4kte^{-kt^2}=e^{-\frac{1}{2}t^2}(\sqrt{\frac{2}{\pi}}-2t).$$ Letting ##k=1/2## again, for convenience. Then, we note that ##max(f)=f\left(\sqrt{\frac{1}{2\pi}}\right)>1##. Since ##f## is [strike]increasing[/strike] (clearly decreasing with an asymptote at 1) for all ##t>\sqrt{\frac{1}{2\pi}}## and ##f(t)>1## for all ##0\leq t\leq \sqrt{\frac{1}{2\pi}}##, the result follows.

Not sure if either of these is right. They were pretty ugly.

Edit: Ignore the second part. I clearly did something horribly wrong with the derivatives. >_>

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  5. Dec 1, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I guess we just consider t≥0?
    For t=0, it is trivial (left side 1/2, right side 1), consider t>0 now.

We want to show
    $$\int_{-t}^{t} p(x) dx \geq 1 - 2 e^{-Kt^2}$$
    As the normal distribution is symmetric, this can be written as
    $$1-2\int_{t}^{\infty} p(x) dx \geq 1 - 2 e^{-Kt^2}$$
    or
    $$\int_{t}^{\infty} p(x) dx \leq e^{-Kt^2}$$

As a plot and with the example K=1/2, this means the red line has to be above the blue line in the WolframAlpha plot
    (if the url does not work, the query: "plot int(1/sqrt(2pi)*exp(-y^2/2), y from x to infinity), e^(-x^2/2)")

Let's find an upper bound for the integral. As the integrand is monotonically decreasing,
    $$\int_{t}^{\infty} p(x) dx \\
    \leq \sum_{i=0}^\infty p(t+i) \\
    = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \sum_{i=0}^\infty \exp\left(\frac{-(t+i)^2}{2}\right) \\
    < \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \sum_{i=0}^\infty \exp\left(\frac{-t^2-2ti}{2}\right) \\
    = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp(-t^2/2) \sum_{i=0}^\infty \left(e^{-t}\right)^i
    $$
    As t>0, exp(-t)<1 so we can evaluate the sum.
    $$ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp(-t^2/2) \frac{1}{1-e^{-t}}$$

Let's fix ##K=\frac{1}{2}##. We have to show that
    $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp(-t^2/2) \frac{1}{1-e^{-t}} \leq e^{-t^2/2}$$
    This is satisfied if
    $$\sqrt{2 \pi} (1-e^{-t}) \geq 1$$
    where equality gives approximately t ≈ 0.51. Therefore, the inequality is satisfied for t≥1.

It is left to show the inequality for 0<t<1. In this interval, the LHS is ≤ 0.5, but ##e^{-t^2/2} > e^{-1/2} \approx 0.607 > 0.5.

As a result, with K=1/2 the inequality is satisfied everywhere and the standard normal distribution is sub-gaussian.

6. Dec 2, 2013 #5

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That seems like it would be hard - if t is sufficiently large the first bunch of terms will be increasing in magnitude (as they will have higher powers of t).

mfb, that's a really nice solution, I like the idea of bounding the integral with a Riemann sum. k=1/2 is actually the best bound that I know of, but your proof is the first one that makes me think that it is genuinely tight as opposed to just convenient (since the sum should be a really good estimate if t is large).

Any alternate proofs out there people can come up with?

7. Dec 2, 2013 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Proof:

$$\int_{t}^{\infty} p(x) dx \\
    {\bf \geq} \sum_{i=1}^\infty p(t+i) \\
    = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \sum_{i=1}^\infty \exp\left(\frac{-(t+i)^2}{2}\right) \\
    > \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp(-\frac{(t+1)^2}{2})$$
    Where the last expression is simply the first term of the sum.

Let's look at the inequality:
    $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp(-\frac{(t+1)^2}{2}) < e^{-K t^2}$$
    This can be solved for K:
    $$c+(t+1)^2 > 2Kt^2$$
    Where ##c=\log(2 \pi)## is constant.
    $$K< \frac{c+(t+1)^2}{2t^2} = \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{t} + \frac{1+c}{2t^2}$$
    K cannot be larger than 1/2, or the inequality gets violated at some point.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  8. Dec 2, 2013 #7
    That's...awesome. In the series method I used, ##k=\frac{1}{2}## was actually what I considered an aesthetic choice. I chose it because it made the computations simple and lots of things cancelled to give something I knew would converge. That's pretty fantastic, when you think about how all of it connects. :approve:

9. Dec 2, 2013 #8

mfb

2016 Award

One part gives a nice sum, the other part gives the error function:

$$ \sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n}(t+\sqrt{2\pi}(2n+1))}{\sqrt{2\pi}2^n(2n+1)n!} \\
    = \sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n}(\sqrt{2\pi}(2n+1))}{\sqrt{2\pi}2^n(2n+1)n!} + \sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n}t}{\sqrt{2\pi}2^n(2n+1)n!} \\
    = \sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n}}{2^nn!} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n+1}}{2^n(2n+1)n!} \\
    = \sum_{n\geq 0}\frac{(-t^2/2)^n}{n!} + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n+1}}{2^n(2n+1)n!} \\
    = \exp\left(-\frac{t^2}{2}\right) + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n+1}}{2^n(2n+1)n!}$$
    Let's focus on the second part:
    $$\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n+1}}{2^n(2n+1)n!} \\
    = \int dt \frac{d}{dt} \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}\sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n+1}}{2^n(2n+1)n!} \\
    = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int dt \sum_{n\geq 0}(-1)^n\frac{t^{2n}}{2^n n!} \\
    = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int dt \exp\left(\frac{-t^2}{2}\right)$$
    Now we have to get the integration constant right: For t=0, the expression is 0.
    $$ = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_0^t dt' \exp\left(\frac{-t'^2}{2}\right)$$
    So now we are comparing a gaussian with the error function again. I think this went in a circle...

We have to prove that$$1 \leq 2 \exp\left(-\frac{t^2}{2}\right) + \frac{2}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_0^t dt' \exp\left(\frac{-t'^2}{2}\right)$$
    Which is equivalent to (using the symmetry of the integral)
    $$1 - 2 \exp\left(-\frac{t^2}{2}\right) \leq \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int_{-t}^t dt' \exp\left(\frac{-t'^2}{2}\right)$$
    And that is exactly the initial problem statement. Okay, bad direction. Well now we have that in TeX.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  10. Dec 2, 2013 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

mfb, you literally just reversed the steps that he took to arrive at that :p

11. Dec 2, 2013 #10
    I'm literally crying with laughter right now. That was hilarious. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook