Challenging Momentum of Collision Problem

In summary, two cars, A and B, with masses of 1100kg and 1400kg respectively, slide on an icy road and attempt to stop at a light. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the two cars is 0.130. Car A comes to rest at the light, but car B rear-ends car A. After the collision, car A comes to rest 8.2m from the collision point, and car B comes to rest 6.1 meters from the collision point. Using the conservation of momentum, we can find the initial velocity of car B when it hit car A. However, more information from part (a) is needed to solve this equation. Another approach to solving this problem is
Baslim

Homework Statement

Two cars A and B slide on an icy road as they attempt to stop at a light. The mass of A is 1100kg, B is 1400kg. The coefficient of kinetic friction between both cars is 0.130. Car A comes to rest at the light, but car B rear-ends car A. After the collision, A comes to rest 8.2m from the collision point, and B 6.1 meters from collision point.
(a) From the distanced traveled by each car, find the speed of each after impact.
(b) Use conservation of momentum to find the speed when B hit A.

Homework Equations

m1v1i + m2v2i = m1v2f + m2v2f

The Attempt at a Solution

I only know how to solve part (b), but I need information from A to actually calculate it. The equation is based on the conservation of momentum. Where the initial velocity of car B is v2i = (m1v1f + m2v2f)/m2 ...I think...

Physics news on Phys.org
There is more than one way to solve the first part of a problem. One way, which you may or may not have covered in class yet, is using the work-energy theorem and equating the change in kinetic energy of a car (which is a function of its initial velocity) with the work done by friction (friction force * distance).

Another way to solve the problem (which you should have covered in class) is by using your knowledge of kinematics. You know the initial and final velocity of the car. You also know the friction force on the car (which means you know its acceleration). Combine that with the stopping distance and consider the relationships you covered while studying kinematics - you should be able to write an equation that will allow you to solve the problem.

I hope that helps.

1. What is the definition of momentum in the context of collision?

In physics, momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In the context of collision, momentum refers to the quantity of motion that an object possesses before and after a collision occurs.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision?

In an ideal collision, the total momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum. It means that the total momentum of all the objects involved in the collision is constant, regardless of any changes in their velocities or directions.

3. How does the mass and velocity of an object affect its momentum in a collision?

The momentum of an object is directly proportional to its mass and velocity. This means that an object with a larger mass or a higher velocity will have a greater momentum in a collision. The relationship between momentum, mass, and velocity can be expressed as p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

4. What is an elastic collision and how is it different from an inelastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other with no loss of energy. In contrast, an inelastic collision is a type of collision in which some of the kinetic energy is lost as heat, sound, or deformation. Inelastic collisions are not as common as elastic collisions, and they typically result in a change in the objects' velocities and directions.

5. How can the momentum of a collision be calculated?

The momentum of a collision can be calculated using the formula p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. In order to calculate the momentum of a system before and after a collision, you need to know the mass and velocity of each object involved in the collision. Additionally, the direction of each object's velocity must be taken into account when calculating the total momentum of the system.