Elastic and Inelastic Momentum Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses two different collisions between cars of equal mass, one where the cars stick together after the collision and one where they do not. In the first scenario, the total momentum of the two cars is conserved and their final velocity is calculated to be 15 m/s. In the second scenario, the cars do not stick together and the angle of one car's final velocity is given. Using vector components, the final velocity and momentum of the car originally in motion is calculated to be -20 m/s and 40000 kg m/s respectively. The angle is taken into account in the calculation of the final velocity.
Dillion

Homework Statement

A car whose mass is 2000 kg moves with a velocity of 30 m/s. It hits a stationary car that has the same mass. (Ignore all horizontal forces except for the ones that two cars exert on each other.)

a) The two cars stick to each other after the collision. What is their velocity after the collision?

b) In a different collision, with the same start, the cars do not stick to each other. After the collision the car that was originally at rest is observed to move with a velocity of 10 m/s at an angle of 35 degrees with the original motion of the other car. Find the momentum and velocity after the collision of the car that was originally moving.

Homework Equations

m2v2final + m1v1final = m2v2i + m1v1i

The Attempt at a Solution

for a) 2000v2+2000v1 = 2000(0) + 2000(30)
and since they stick together we can consider them one mass
4000Vf = 60000
vf = 15 m/s

for b) I don't know how to start because of the angle and it's inelastic because the cars do not stick together, right?

my attempt (but probably very wrong):

V2f - V1f = -(V2i - V1i)

10 - V1f = 30

V1f = -20 m/s ---> final answer for velocity

p = m x v

2000 kg x -20 m/s = 40000 kg m/s ----> final answer for momentum

I don't know where the angle comes into play...

Physics news on Phys.org
Dillion said:
for b) I don't know how to start because of the angle and it's inelastic because the cars do not stick together, right?
Remember that momentum and velocity are vectors. That's where the angle comes in: Divide things into components.

You might want to read this: Elastic and Inelastic Collisions

1. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic momentum?

Elastic momentum refers to a collision between two objects where no energy is lost, and the total momentum of the system is conserved. Inelastic momentum refers to a collision where some energy is lost, and the total momentum of the system is not conserved.

2. How do you calculate the momentum of an object?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula for momentum is p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

3. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In other words, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

4. How does a collision affect the momentum of objects?

In an elastic collision, the momentum of the objects involved remains the same before and after the collision. In an inelastic collision, the momentum of the objects may change due to the transfer of energy between them.

5. What factors affect the amount of momentum transferred during a collision?

The amount of momentum transferred during a collision depends on the masses and velocities of the objects involved. The angle and type of collision (elastic or inelastic) can also affect the amount of momentum transferred.