Chances of getting into grad school

In summary, having only 2 REUs, no research experience at your big state university, and no publications may not be enough to stand out in the highly competitive admissions process for top 10 grad schools. Other factors such as strong letters of recommendation, a high GPA in in-major classes, and a high percentile on standardized tests may increase your chances. However, all of these factors must be exceptional in order to be competitive. Overall, it is difficult to determine your chances without knowing all the information the admissions committee will consider.
proton
will i stand any chance of getting into a top 10 grad school if my only research experience consists of 2 REUs (no research done at my big state university) and no publications?

Physics news on Phys.org

proton said:
will i stand any chance of getting into a top 10 grad school if my only research experience consists of 2 REUs (no research done at my big state university) and no publications?

Of course, we can't tell what your chances are. In general, however, accept students who are in some way exceptional. If your research experience is not exceptional, it would be best if some other factor was.

Vanadium 50 said:
Of course, we can't tell what your chances are. In general, however, accept students who are in some way exceptional. If your research experience is not exceptional, it would be best if some other factor was.

would i stand a chance at the top schools with 2 REUs (no research at my school), ~3.8gpa, average letters of rec, and ~80th percentile on the physics GRE?

We still can't tell, of course. We don't have all the information that the admissions committee does, and even then, we're not the admissions committee.

There are about 1000 PhDs awarded every year, which means there must be about 1500 people entering each year. I don't know how many students the top 10 programs accept, but I'd guess between 150 and 200. So you're talking about being in the top 10-15%.

You can ask yourself if any of the things you listed suggests your being in the top 10-15%. Certainly 80% percentile is not, and certainly average letters are not. (If they were, they wouldn't be average) Participating in an REU doesn't impress me - strong letters coming out of it do, but the odds are that I will not be on your committee, so you take take that any way you like. You can decide for yourself where you think a 3.8 lies, but even that doesn't tell the whole story: in-major classes are more important than other classes, and recent classes are more important than classes you took years ago.

What are the chances of getting into grad school?

The chances of getting into grad school depend on several factors, including your academic background, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, and standardized test scores. It is also important to research and choose the right program and school for your field of study.

What GPA do I need to get into grad school?

The minimum GPA requirement for grad school varies by program and school. Generally, a GPA of 3.0 or higher is considered competitive, but some programs may require a higher GPA. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in.

Do I need to take the GRE to get into grad school?

Many grad schools require applicants to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), but there are some programs that do not require it. Some schools may also accept other standardized tests such as the GMAT or LSAT. It is important to research the requirements of the programs you are interested in.

How important are letters of recommendation for grad school?

Letters of recommendation are an important aspect of grad school applications as they provide insight into your academic abilities, work ethic, and potential for success in graduate studies. It is important to choose recommenders who know you well and can speak to your strengths and qualifications for grad school.

What can I do to increase my chances of getting into grad school?

To increase your chances of getting into grad school, it is important to have a strong academic background, relevant research or work experience, and a well-written statement of purpose. Additionally, networking with professors and professionals in your field of study, and getting involved in extracurricular activities and leadership roles can also make your application stand out.