Change in Homology from Change in Coefficients

In summary: So orientability is intrinsic.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of torsion in homology and whether it is intrinsic to a space or dependent on the coefficients used. The participants mention examples such as the torus and the Klein bottle, and conclude that while torsion is not always intrinsic, it can reveal useful information about the topology of a space.
Bacle
Hi, everyone:

If we change the coefficients used to calculate homology, the universal coefficient
theorem tells us how the homology changes. Still, is there a way of knowing whether
a specific (non-trivial) cycle under certain coefficient is still a cycle after the coefficient
change?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think my post was not very clear: I am curious as to whether torsion is intrinsic
to a space, in that if a space X has torsion, then homology with _any coefficients_
would also have torsion. I was thinking of examples like that of the torus T, in which
torsion appears when we use coefficients with torsion, e.g, Z/2, but not otherwise.

Bacle said:
I think my post was not very clear: I am curious as to whether torsion is intrinsic
to a space, in that if a space X has torsion, then homology with _any coefficients_
would also have torsion. I was thinking of examples like that of the torus T, in which
torsion appears when we use coefficients with torsion, e.g, Z/2, but not otherwise.

Torsion is not intrinsic. For instance the Z/2 homology of the torus is all torsion but its Z homology is free abelian.

For unorientable manifolds such as the Klein bottle the top Z homology is zero but the top z/2 homology is Z/2.

If the coefficient ring is the rational numbers there is never any torsion.

lavinia said:
Torsion is not intrinsic. For instance the Z/2 homology of the torus is all torsion but its Z homology is free abelian.

For unorientable manifolds such as the Klein bottle the top Z homology is zero but the top z/2 homology is Z/2.

If the coefficient ring is the rational numbers there is never any torsion.

But then does torsion really tell us something useful about the topology of a space, or does it just reveal some algebraic property of the coefficients used?

Bacle said:
But then does torsion really tell us something useful about the topology of a space, or does it just reveal some algebraic property of the coefficients used?

yes. Unorientablility is intrinsinc. In this sense you might say that torsion is intrinsic though it is only picked up in certain coefficient rings and not in others.

In the real projective plane all cycles in all dimensions are torsion in that their Z-boundaries are double another chain. So over Z they are not cycles but over Z/2 they are.

If you look at it this way then torsion is an intrinsic topological property. maybe the right way to look at it in homology is to say that there is intrinsic 2-torsion when a chain is not a Z-cycle but is a z/2 cycle. So I guess I should take back my statement that torsion is not intrinsic.

Similarly you could have Z-chains that are not cyles but are cycles in Z/nZ. This would be intrinsic n-torsion.

In cohomology the first Stiefel-Whitney class is a Z/2 cocycle that is not zero if an only if the vector bundle is not orientable. For the tangent bundle this means that it is not zero if and only if the manifold is not orientable.

What is homology?

Homology refers to the similarity between different organisms or structures due to shared ancestry. It is used to compare and classify different species based on their physical and genetic characteristics.

How does homology change?

Homology can change over time due to natural selection and genetic mutations. As organisms evolve and adapt to their environments, their physical and genetic traits may change, resulting in changes in their homology.

What are coefficients in homology?

Coefficients in homology refer to the numerical values used to quantify the similarity or dissimilarity between different characteristics or structures in organisms. They are often used in mathematical and statistical analyses to compare and classify organisms based on their homology.

How does change in coefficients affect homology?

A change in coefficients can affect homology by altering the numerical values used to measure similarity between organisms. This can result in a change in the classification or interpretation of homology between different species or structures.

What is the relationship between change in homology and change in coefficients?

The relationship between change in homology and change in coefficients is that they are closely related and often influence each other. Changes in coefficients can lead to changes in homology, and changes in homology can result in changes in coefficients. Both factors are important in understanding the evolution and classification of different organisms.