Basic Confusion: Genus, Homology (Exm of Torus)

In summary, the 1st homology of the torus T(over Z) is Z(+)Z, with elements of the form (a,b) =/ (0,0) being non-trivial cycles that do not bound subsurfaces of the torus. Every cycle that does bound is equivalent/homologous to (0,0). The cycle (1,1) of a meridian and then a parallel is not non-bounding, as cutting meridionally and longitudinally would still leave the end-space connected. The genus of the torus is 1, meaning that we can remove at most one SCC from the torus without disconnecting it. Any pair (a,b) would consist of
Bacle
Hi, All:

I'm a bit confused about this: the 1st homology of the torus T(over Z) is Z(+)Z,

so that elements of the form (a,b) =/ (0,0) are non-trivial , meaning these are

cycles (closed curves) that do not bound subsurfaces of the torus, and every cycle

that does bound is

equivalent/homologous to (0,0). Still, I don't see why, e.g., the cycle (1,1) of a meridian

and then a parallel, is non-bounding: if we went once around meridionally and once

longitudinally, we would disconnect the torus. Isn't (1,1) then, a cycle that bounds?

Additionally, the genus of the torus is 1 , meaning that we can remove at most one

SCC (simple-closed curve) from the torus without disconnecting it, so it would seem

like any pair (a,b) would consist of 2 curves ( one going a times meridionally and b

times longitudinally ), so that, since the genus is 1, (a,b) would disconnect the torus,

right? But then (a,b) would be a cycle that bounds, so that it would be homologous

to (0,0), which it is not. What am I missing?

EDIT: I realize the obvious fact that (a,b) is not a SCCurve. Is this the issue, i.e.,

must homology classes (at least for the torus) be represented by SCC's?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bacle said:
Hi, All:

I'm a bit confused about this: the 1st homology of the torus T(over Z) is Z(+)Z,

so that elements of the form (a,b) =/ (0,0) are non-trivial , meaning these are

cycles (closed curves) that do not bound subsurfaces of the torus, and every cycle

that does bound is

equivalent/homologous to (0,0). Still, I don't see why, e.g., the cycle (1,1) of a meridian

and then a parallel, is non-bounding: if we went once around meridionally and once

longitudinally, we would disconnect the torus. Isn't (1,1) then, a cycle that bounds?

Nay. If you cut meridionally, you are left with a cylinder. Then when you cut longitudinally, you obtain a rectangle. rectangle = connected.

Bacle said:
Additionally, the genus of the torus is 1 , meaning that we can remove at most one

SCC (simple-closed curve) from the torus without disconnecting it, so it would seem

like any pair (a,b) would consist of 2 curves ( one going a times meridionally and b

times longitudinally ), so that, since the genus is 1, (a,b) would disconnect the torus,

right? But then (a,b) would be a cycle that bounds, so that it would be homologous

to (0,0), which it is not. What am I missing?

EDIT: I realize the obvious fact that (a,b) is not a SCCurve. Is this the issue, i.e.,

must homology classes (at least for the torus) be represented by SCC's?

You can realize (a,b) as a SCC. For instance, (1,1) can be realized as the diagonal of the square in the polygonal presentation of the torus. But hopefully by now, you no longer think that (a,b) disconnects.

Thanks, Quasar, its clear now. I was wrongly focusing on the red herring that we

were prying the space open, confusing that with the real issue of the end-space

(after the cuts ) being disconnected. I guess I am getting a head start on senility.

Last edited:

1. What is a genus in biology?

A genus is a taxonomic rank used in the classification of living organisms. It is a group of closely related species that share a common ancestor and possess similar characteristics. It is the next level after kingdom and before species in the hierarchical classification system.

2. What is homology in biology?

Homology refers to the similarity between different species or structures that are derived from a common ancestor. It is often used to describe similar traits or characteristics in different organisms that have evolved over time from a shared ancestor.

3. Can you give an example of homology in biology?

An example of homology is the pentadactyl limb, which is found in mammals, birds, reptiles, and amphibians. These limbs all have the same basic structure of one bone, two bones, and then multiple bones in the hands or feet, despite their different functions in each species.

4. What is a torus in biology?

A torus is a geometrical shape that is used to describe the structure of certain biological structures, such as the plant stem or animal bone. It is a circular shape with a hole in the center, similar to a donut or tire.

5. How does basic confusion relate to the concepts of genus and homology?

Basic confusion refers to the difficulty in distinguishing between different concepts or ideas. In terms of genus and homology, this could refer to confusion between the two terms and their meanings. Understanding the difference between these concepts is important in accurately classifying and studying living organisms and their evolutionary relationships.