Change in the direction of motion of the particle

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
TheDispStud
Messages
5
Reaction score
2
New poster has been reminded to show their work on schoolwork problems
Homework Statement
A particle of mass m moving with velocity v1, leaves a half-space in which the potential is a constant U1 and enters the other half-space, where the potential energy is a different constant U2.
Relevant Equations
Determine the change in the direction of motion of the particle.
Unfortunately, I have no idea about a possible solution.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
TheDispStud said:
Homework Statement:: A particle of mass m moving with velocity v1, leaves a half-space in which the potential is a constant U1 and enters the other half-space, where the potential energy is a different constant U2.
Relevant Equations:: Determine the change in the direction of motion of the particle.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about a possible solution.
In which context did this question come up? Have you studied the variational principle?
 
Yes, we discussed about the Hamilton variational principle.
 
TheDispStud said:
Yes, we discussed about the Hamilton variational principle.
Does this question look similar to the refraction of light?
 
TheDispStud said:
This is an exercise of Analytical Mechanics :-)
What would Hamilton say in this case?
 
I really have no idea :(.. I mean I studied the theory but i do not see how to solve this problem!
 
TheDispStud said:
I really have no idea :(.. I mean I studied the theory but i do not see how to solve this problem!
I've given you two ideas: refraction and Hamilton's principle. It's up to you to show us something based on those ideas.