Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change ODE system to Polar to apply Poincare-Bendixson

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    Question:
    Show that the system

x'= x-y-x[x^2 + (3/2)y^2]
    y'= x+y -y[x^2 + (1/2)y^2]

has at least one periodic orbit.

I know that I need to apply Poincare-Bendixson Theorem. I can prove the first three points of it easily, but to create a trapping region, I believe that I need to switch this system to polar. I know that I need to make the substitutions y=r*sin(θ), dy= sin(θ)*dr + r*cos(θ) θ', x= r*cos(θ), dx= cos(θ)*dr - r*sin(θ)θ'. But when I do make the substitution, it makes the equations worse than before. Is there some other way to come up with a r min and r max for the trapping region? I just assumed it was a polar type question because its phase plane has a limit cycle on it.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2012 #2

pasmith

Homework Helper

If [itex]V(x,y) = \frac12(x^2 + y^2) = \frac12 r^2[/itex] then
    [tex]\dot V = x\dot x + y \dot y
    = x^2 + y^2 - x^4 - \frac{5}{2} x^2y^2 - \frac12 y^4[/tex]
    which after some rearrangement yields
    [tex]\dot V = x^2 + y^2 - \left(x^2 + \frac54y^2\right)^2 + \frac{17}{16}y^4[/tex]
    Looking at that, you can see that there exist [itex]0 < m < M[/itex] such that if [itex]0 < r < m[/itex] then [itex]\dot V > 0[/itex] (because the origin is unstable, so trajectories are locally away from it) and if [itex]r > M[/itex] then [itex]\dot V < 0[/itex] (because if [itex]|y|[/itex] is fixed then [itex]\dot V < 0[/itex] for [itex]|x|[/itex] sufficiently large), so that the trapping region is [itex]m \leq r \leq M[/itex].

I don't think it's necessary to calculate [itex]m[/itex] and [itex]M[/itex]; it is enough to show that they exist.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook