Change of basis computation gone wrong....

In summary, the homework statement is that the change of basis matrix from (1, x, x^2, x^3) to (1, x+1, (x+1)^2, (x+1)^3) is equal to the change of basis matrix from (1, x, x^2) to (1, x+1, (x+1)^2).
OscarAlexCunning

Homework Statement

Consider the real-vector space of polynomials (i.e. real coefficients) ##f(x)## of at most degree ##3##, let's call that space ##X##. And consider the real-vector space of polynomials (i.e. real coefficients) of at most degree ##2##, call that ##Y##. And consider the linear transformation ##A## from ##X## to ##Y## defined by the following:$$A(f) = 2f' - (x+1)f''.$$Let $$[A]_{(1,x,x^2,x^3)}^{(1,x,x^2)}$$be the matrix of ##A## with respect to the bases ##(1, x, x^2, x^3)## of ##X## and ##(1, x, x^2)## of ##Y##, let$$[A]_{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2,(x+1)^3)}^{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2)}$$be the matrix of ##A## with respect to the bases ##(1,x+1,(x+1)^2,(x+1)^3)## of ##X## and ##(1,x+1,(x+1)^2)## of ##Y##, let ##B## be the change of basis matrix from ##(1,x,x^2,x^3)## to ##(1,x+1,(x+1)^2,(x+1)^3)##, and let ##C## be the change of basis matrix from ##(1, x, x^2)## to ##(1,x+1,(x+1)^2)##.

Problem. Show that$$[A]_{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2,(x+1)^3)}^{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2)} = C^{-1}[A]_{(1,x,x^2,x^3)}^{(1,x,x^2)}B.$$

Homework Equations

This category is a bit silly.

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Alright, let's do this, lads.

Let's first calculate$$[A]_{(1,x,x^2,x^3)}^{(1,x,x^2)}.$$Assume ##f(x)=a+bx+cx^2+dx^3##, then$$A(f)=2f' - (x+1)f''=2(b+2cx+3dx^2)-(x+1)(2c+6dx)=$$$$=2b+4cx+6dx^2-2cx-6dx^2-2c-6dx=(2b-2c)+(2c-6d)x,$$
therefore
$$[A]_{(1,x,x^2,x^3)}^{(1,x,x^2)}.=\begin{pmatrix}0&2&-2&0\\0&0&2&-6\\0&0&0&0\end{pmatrix}.$$Okay, now let's do$$[A]_{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2,(x+1)^3)}^{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2)},$$which is similar. So we begin with ##f(x) = a + b(x+1) + c(x+1)^2 + d(x+1)^3##, then$$A(f) = 2f' - (x+1)f'' = 2(b + 2c(x+1) + 3d(x+1)^2) - (x+1)(2c + 6d(x+1)) = 2b + 2c(x+1).$$So$$[A]_{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2,(x+1)^3)}^{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2)}.=\begin{pmatrix}0&2&0&0\\0&0&2&0\\0&0&0&0\end{pmatrix}.$$Okay, onto ##B##, ##C##, ##C^{-1}##. I calculated that$$B = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & -1 & 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & -2 & 3 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & -3 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix},$$
$$C = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & -1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & -2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix},$$
$$C^{-1} = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 & 2 \\ 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}.$$However, when I plug everything into my original equation which I want to verify, i.e.$$[A]_{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2,(x+1)^3)}^{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2)} = C^{-1}[A]_{(1,x,x^2,x^3)}^{(1,x,x^2)}B,$$I find that the two sides are not equal.

Where did I go wrong? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
OscarAlexCunning said:
Problem. Show that$$[A]_{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2,(x+1)^3)}^{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2)} = C^{-1}[A]_{(1,x,x^2,x^3)}^{(1,x,x^2)}B.$$
Based on the definitions, I would have expected it to be the other way around:
that$$[A]_{(1,x,x^2,x^3)}^{(1,x,x^2)}= C^{-1}[A]_{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2,(x+1)^3)}^{(1,x+1,(x+1)^2)} B.$$
Maybe try that.

What is a change of basis computation?

A change of basis computation is a mathematical process used to convert between two different coordinate systems. It is commonly used in linear algebra and other areas of mathematics.

What can cause a change of basis computation to go wrong?

There are several potential causes for a change of basis computation to go wrong, including errors in the input data, incorrect application of mathematical formulas, and mistakes in programming or coding the computation.

How can I check if my change of basis computation is correct?

One way to check the correctness of a change of basis computation is to perform the computation using a different method or software and compare the results. You can also manually calculate the computation for a few simple cases to verify the accuracy of the results.

What are some common mistakes to avoid in a change of basis computation?

Some common mistakes to avoid in a change of basis computation include mixing up the order of operations, using incorrect formulas, and not double-checking the input data for errors. It is also important to be familiar with the properties and rules of change of basis computations to avoid errors.

How can I fix a change of basis computation that has gone wrong?

If you have identified an error in your change of basis computation, you can try to pinpoint the source of the mistake and correct it. You can also seek assistance from a colleague or consult online resources for guidance on how to fix the error. Additionally, it may be helpful to review the steps of the computation and double-check your work to identify any other potential errors.