Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of coordinates for functions

1. Jun 27, 2011 #1
    I am trying to solve a problem with spacetime metrics and a change of coordinates for my research project.

I have an unspecified function R that depends on two coordinates t' and r' (which are the time and radial coordinates) and the only condition I'm imposing on R is that it be positive.

Now, suppose I change to a new set of coordinates t and r and define R = r^2, is it possible to find an explicit relation between the old coordinate r' and r without knowing the exact dependence of R on t' and r'? I feel like it's not possible, but maybe there's a way using a Jacobian or something that I'm forgetting.

More importantly, if there's another function P that depends on t' and r', is it possible t o find P as a function of t' and r using the above information?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2011 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Except in trivial situations, r will necessarily depend on both r' and [itex]\theta'[/itex], not just r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook