Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Change of momentum of a crate within a system

1. Mar 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok i am working through some course work questions and have been asked to calculate the change of momentum of the 200kg crate. I have the following information after working through the previous questions

Mass of crate = 200Kg
    Distance moved (horizontally) = 20m
    time = 4.07s
    Initial Velocity = 0 m/s
    Final velocity = 9.82 m/s
    Aceleration = 2.41 m/s/s

I realise i don't need all this information but wanted to include all the information i have gained about the system. I have also attached my initial free body diagram.

2. Relevant equations

Impulse = ft = mΔv

3. The attempt at a solution

So this is where i'm having difficulties i think i have got confused with all the information i have already gained about the system but my attempt is as below would appreciate any pointers in the right direction.

Ft = mΔv

F = mΔv/t

F = (200Kg x 9.82m/s)/4.07s

F = 482.56N
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

What's the initial momentum? What's the final momentum? What's the difference (change)?

4. Mar 28, 2012 #3
    Momentum = Mass x Velocity

Initial Momentum = 200 x 0 = 0
    Final Momentum = 200 x 9.82 = 1964

So to summarise the initial momentum would be 0 kgm/s and the final momentum is 1964 kgm/s as such the change of moment would be 1964 kgm/s? so the change in momentum would be + 1964 kgm/s?

I thought i needed to use the impulse = force applied x time equation? is this not the change of momentum. Thanks for you help.

5. Mar 28, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You could use the f*t version if you wanted to. You've provided the acceleration and time, and the force can be obtained from f=ma. But it amounts to the same thing, and really, by definition the impulse is the change in momentum so why not go directly there?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  6. Mar 28, 2012 #5
    Thanks for the reply. I see your point (why make life difficult! :D) i have just tried the force * time to work out the impulse and that confirms my answer for me. Thanks for the help

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook