Change of Origin: Locus of P is Straight Line ax+by=k

In summary, the equation ax+by+c=0 is transferred to ax+by+c+k=0. This new equation has x' and y' as the new coordinate axes, and the locus of P is the straight line ax+by=k.
revitgaur

Homework Statement

On shifting the origin to a point P, the axes remaining parallel to the old axes,the equation ax+by+c=0 is transferred to ax+by+c+k=0.Show that the locus of P is the straight line ax+by=k.

2. Relevant equation
1. ax+by+c=0
2. ax'+by'+c+k=0

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first equation ax+by+c=0 i put x=x'+h and y=y'+k'and then i subtract first and second equation but only one equation is obtained now I don't know how to find the value of h and k'.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried graphing it? I just used https://www.desmos.com/calculator. Not that I'm affiliated with the site but it's a good resource. To keep it simple I let both a and b = 1 and c=0. Then for the second line, plug in whatever value you wish for k. Remember that k becomes negative when it passes the equal sign. That might stimulate some ideas for you.

All you have to show is that P is on that line; you don't have to find P.
Note that your h has something to do with the x coordinate of P and the (unhappily chosen) k' has something to do with the y coordinate of P :smile:

revitgaur said:

Homework Statement

On shifting the origin to a point P, the axes remaining parallel to the old axes,the equation ax+by+c=0 is transferred to ax+by+c+k=0.Show that the locus of P is the straight line ax+by=k.

2. Relevant equation
1. ax+by+c=0
2. ax'+by'+c+k=0

The Attempt at a Solution

In the first equation ax+by+c=0 i put x=x'+h and y=y'+k'and then i subtract first and second equation but only one equation is obtained now I don't know how to find the value of h and k'.

Part of the problem (and a possible source of confusion) is the problem's use of the same names x and y to stand for two different things. It might have been better if the problem stated that the new coordinate axes x' and y' are parallel to the old axes x and y, and the equation ax + by + c = 0 is transferred to ax' + by' + c + k = 0.

Note that parallel axes means that x' = x - u and y' = y - v for some constants u and v. The origin of the (x',y') system is at x = u and y = v in the old (x,y) system.

1. What is the equation for a straight line in terms of locus of P?

The equation for a straight line in terms of locus of P is ax+by=k, where a and b are constants and x and y are variables.

2. How does the equation ax+by=k represent a change of origin for the locus of P?

The constants a and b in the equation ax+by=k represent the slope of the line, while the constant k represents the y-intercept. This means that a change in the values of a and b will result in a change in the slope of the line, and a change in the value of k will result in a shift of the y-intercept, thus changing the origin of the locus of P.

3. What is the significance of the locus of P for a straight line?

The locus of P is the set of all points that satisfy the given equation ax+by=k. This means that for a straight line, the locus of P represents all the possible points that the line can pass through, making it an important concept in understanding and graphing linear equations.

4. Can the equation ax+by=k be written in other forms?

Yes, the equation ax+by=k can also be written in the general form y=mx+b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. It can also be written in the standard form Ax+By=C, where A and B are constants and C is a constant term.

5. How can the equation ax+by=k be used to solve problems?

The equation ax+by=k can be used to solve various problems related to linear equations, such as finding the slope and y-intercept of a line, graphing a line, and solving systems of linear equations. It can also be used in real-life applications such as calculating rates of change and predicting future outcomes.