1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ax+by=c is a straight line. When b=0 then it is // to y-axis

1. Feb 18, 2016 #1

TheBlackAdder

Gold Member

Am I forgetting some critical basic knowledge?
    It says: In the plane (identified by R^2) a linear equation ax+by=c is a straight line. If b=0 then this straight line is parallel with the y-axis; in the other case it is a straight line with slope -a/b. A (2 by 2)-system linear equation.

Why is it parallel? If you make b=0 in ax+by=c you still get a straight line. Or should I see it as: b y = -ax + c

hNGwASW.jpg

5R9ORRJ.png

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2016 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Take the equation for the line and set b = 0. Solve for x. What do you get?

Since there are three constants here, namely a, b, and c, the 'other case' is not clear, since we have discussed what happens when b = 0. In any event, take the original equation for the line and set a = 0 or c = 0 and see what remains.

4. Feb 18, 2016 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If a line is parallel with a straight line, is not it a straight line?
    If b=0 ax=-c, this is a straight line, but where? Does it intercept the y axis? So is this line parallel with the y axis (or coincide with it) ?

5. Feb 18, 2016 #4

TheBlackAdder

Gold Member

I'm literally speechless on how I missed that. I'm incredibly rusty in the basics of math. I thought ax = c was the same as ax + 0 = y.
    I didn't figure c as a constant.

6. Feb 18, 2016 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

a, b, c are all constants.

7. Feb 18, 2016 #6

TheBlackAdder

Gold Member

I'm used to seeing y on the other side of the equation symbol (as slope intercept form). That's why I thought on c being just another solution variable.
    Anyway, thank you. Can't wait for feeling bad on the next blunder.

8. Feb 18, 2016 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

By the way:

Welcome to PF !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted