Changed majors -- Was anyone else nervous beginning physics?

In summary, the individual was nervous about starting physics as a new major due to lack of experience and potential difficulty understanding concepts. They overcame their nerves by seeking help, attending study groups, and dedicating extra time to studying. They also had to make changes in their study habits, such as actively engaging with the material and staying organized. Their advice for someone in a similar situation is to ask for help and stay determined. Changing majors to physics had a significant impact on their academic and career goals, providing new opportunities and developing valuable skills.
Katherine Kaylegian
Math has never been a strong suit, but I have always been interested in physics and genetics. I aim at neurophysics for grad studies. My math skills have improved and I enjoy it, soI have switched from Bio to physics as an undergrad major, and now I am super nervous. Any words of advice?? I’m a 4.0 student, but I’ still terrified. I don’t want my fear to become a self-fulfilling prophecy as it often has with math in the past.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a couple of Math MOOCs while it's summer.
They are helpful.

1. Why were you nervous about beginning physics as a new major?

I was nervous about beginning physics as a new major because it was a subject that I did not have a lot of experience with. I was worried that I would struggle to understand the concepts and keep up with the coursework.

2. How did you overcome your nerves and adjust to the new major?

I overcame my nerves and adjusted to the new major by seeking help from professors and peers, attending study groups and review sessions, and dedicating extra time to studying and practicing problems. I also reminded myself that it's normal to feel nervous when starting something new and that it's important to stay determined and persistent.

3. Did you have to make any changes in your study habits for physics?

Yes, I had to make some changes in my study habits for physics. I found that practicing problems and actively engaging with the material was more effective than just reading and memorizing information. I also made sure to stay organized and stay on top of assignments and readings.

4. What advice do you have for someone who is nervous about starting physics as a new major?

My advice would be to not be afraid to ask for help and to stay determined and persistent. Physics can be a challenging subject, but with hard work and dedication, anyone can succeed. Also, try to find a study group or a study partner to help you stay on track and motivated.

5. How did changing majors to physics impact your academic and career goals?

Changing majors to physics had a significant impact on my academic and career goals. It opened up new opportunities and paths for me, and I gained a deeper understanding and appreciation for the subject. It also helped me develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are valuable in many fields, not just physics.