1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changes based on electromagnetic principals

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    in a previous lesson i wrote about making an environmentally friendly "pioneer village". it consisted of a large wind turbine and each house having its own solar panels.

this question asks to discuess any changes that should be made based on my knowledge of electromagnetic principals.

3. The attempt at a solution

heres what i have so far:
    for part -a- i wrote quite a bit about how step-up and down transformers work.

does that somewhat hit the nail on the head? im drawing a blank and i dunno what else to say. :frown: i want to make sure my answer is relevent to the question asked.

any help is appreciated

-Amy

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2
    looks alright.. but you never know exactly what the teachers are asking for with these @ home courses... ive had the same problem on a few questions

4. Dec 5, 2006 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You might want to include how to integrate the DC photovoltaic cells into the AC system.

5. Dec 6, 2006 #4
    quickslant; for the gr 12 course, do they specify how many marks each question is worth? they did so in the bio and math, but not physics for some reason. at least if the question is worth a lot of marks id have an idea of how detailed the answer needs to be.

kurdt; no mention of photovoltaic cells in the course (high school level). but thanks anyway for the tip.

-Amy

6. Dec 6, 2006 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

In your original post (OP) you mentioned something about a solar panel at each house. I had the same thought as Kurdt -- integrating the DC output from the solar panels into the AC mains of the house is non-trivial, but obviously do-able. And it would deserve mention in your paper, if each house still has solar panels.

7. Dec 6, 2006 #6

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're connecting your transformers backwards. Power companies step up the voltage to reduce the current for transmission. That way they can use lightweight wires, and the resistive losses ("voltage drops") in the wires are low. Voltages on telephone pole-type lines range from 7 to 30 kVAC, the ones atop metal-frame towers run up to 100's of kV.

Do you see why Hi V/ Low I results in lower losses?

8. Dec 6, 2006 #7
    i dont think i have the transformers backwards. heres what i wrote for part -a-:
    thanks i added:
    -Amy

9. Dec 6, 2006 #8

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?