1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Fields and Effects of Oscillation

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1
    The electrical circuits in a house run on alternating current. This is a current of electrical charges that oscillates back and forth at a frequency of 60 Hz. Do these currents produce magnetic fields? Explain. Do these circuits radiate electromagnetic waves? Why or why not?

I don't have any relevant equations, we are talking about qualitative answers--not quantitative.

My reasoning is this. If electrical charges move back and forth at a frequency of 60Hz then they are in fact 'moving' and would form a magnetic field. Since the magnetic field isn't chanigng however, it therefor wouldn't create an electric field (because they are caused by changing magnetic fields). So, I think I've got the first part of the question down: it does create magnetic fields. But, I'm not sure if the circuits radiate electromagnetic waves. Help me out, please!

EDIT: Grammar

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2011 #2

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PF,

Any time charges accelerate, they radiate. This is common knowledge. But if you want to think about why, then consider that a charge moving back and forth is not a steady current (the velocity of the charge is not constant). Therefore, it doesn't give rise to a static magnetic field, but rather a time-varying one. And a time-varying magnetic field induces an electric field. A time-varying electric field induces a magnetic field. And so on and so forth. This is how EM radiation maintains itself and propagates.

4. Sep 29, 2011 #3
    Thank you very much, this makes sense :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook