Changing engineering specialties after graduation

• Engineering
  • Thread starter gturtled
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation discussed the difficulty of switching from mechanical engineering to electrical engineering after graduation. The individual expressed their unhappiness with their current course work and interest in the field of electrical engineering. It was suggested that there may be an overlap of 2.5 years between the two disciplines, but it may be better to switch now rather than later. The process of switching from electrical engineering to mechanical engineering was also briefly discussed.
gturtled
Hello, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how difficult it would be to get into electrical engineering after graduating with a bachelor in mechanical. I have done well in my classes, getting mostly as and some b’s, but I really have not liked my course work at all and overall am very unhappy in college. I started out at a small school and was unhappy there so I thought it might help if I changed schools, but I still did not enjoy my class work at all. Due to the transfer I lost a great deal of time and it was going to take me six years to graduate if I wanted to change majors at my new school.

I decided to just push through it but I have been very unhappy and now I am about to graduate and am not excited at all about my job prospects. I feel very disappointed and feel like I have wasted some of the supposedly best years of my life studying constantly for something I don’t really like.

I really think electrical engineering might have been better for me as I am very interested in the field. In addition I have really enjoyed my college mathematics classes a lot and was disappointed in how little, at our school at least, anything more than algebra and the most basic differential equations was used in mechanical engineering. I look at the ee department website and read the course syllabi in electro physics and computer engineering and think I would have liked that much better. So anyways my main question is: what would be my best option? Just get a job and stop complaining? Is it extremely difficult to get a master in a different type of engineering? I know I would need to take some pre reqs but I have gotten all of the basic math and physics courses out of the way, which is a big hurdle. Thanks for any advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing is impossible... but practically speaking, I'd guess that the overlap between EE and Mech E is probably at most 2.5 years: the standard engineering freshman year, along with math and distribution requirements. I'd guess you'd have to take about 3 semesters of EE courses to catch up.

If you don't like Mech E though, and if you can possibly afford it, I'd still suggest you just do it now. There are few things worse than having a job you hate.

I agree, I would recommend switching to EE if you think it is something you will enjoy. If you don't like mech E and you end up having a job you hate might end up going back to school later for EE and wasting even more time.

I apologize, as I do not want to hijack this thread, but I do want to quickly ask the same question; only in reverse. What are the requirements, or is it difficult, to go from Electrical Engineering to Mechanical Engineering?

That depends on what school you are going to and how close you are to graduation, or if you already have the degree. One thing to do would be to look at the course curriculum for both and compare the classes. You will probably see that all the freshmen courses are the same along with some sophmore ones but there is probably going to be almost 2 years worth of classes you would have to take. But the best thing to do would be to just ask an advisor at the college. They could tell you exactly what classes you need.

MacLaddy said:
I apologize, as I do not want to hijack this thread, but I do want to quickly ask the same question; only in reverse. What are the requirements, or is it difficult, to go from Electrical Engineering to Mechanical Engineering?

I would give pretty much the same answer... the foundations of engineering and of a bachelor's degree would be pretty much the same, but you'd have a completely different set of courses in the discipline. Figure at least 3 more semesters.

At Cambridge I believe the first year is common for all engineering disciplines, mech, elec, civil. Only after this common year do you take your options. Quite good in a way I think.

1. Can I switch engineering specialties after I graduate?

Yes, it is possible to switch engineering specialties after graduation. However, it may require additional education and training, depending on the specific specialties you are switching between. It is important to research the requirements and job prospects of the new specialty before making the switch.

2. Will changing engineering specialties affect my job opportunities?

Changing engineering specialties may affect your job opportunities in the short term, as you may need to gain new skills and experience in the new specialty. However, in the long term, it may open up new opportunities and allow you to pursue a career that aligns better with your interests and strengths.

3. How do I go about changing engineering specialties after graduation?

The first step is to research the new specialty you are interested in and its job prospects. You may also need to take additional courses or obtain certifications in the new specialty. Networking with professionals in the field and gaining relevant experience through internships or volunteer work can also be helpful in making the switch.

4. Is it better to switch engineering specialties early in my career or later?

There is no clear answer to this question as it depends on individual circumstances. Some may benefit from switching earlier in their career to gain relevant experience and establish themselves in the new field. Others may prefer to switch later when they have more knowledge and experience to make an informed decision.

5. Will my previous engineering education still be relevant if I switch specialties?

While some concepts and principles may carry over between engineering specialties, there may be new skills and knowledge required for the new specialty. However, your previous education will still be valuable as it provides a foundation for problem-solving and critical thinking skills that are essential in any engineering field.