Changing fields from undergraduate to graduate

In summary, undergraduate studies refer to a bachelor's degree program, while graduate studies refer to a higher level of education beyond a bachelor's degree. It is common for students to change fields from their undergraduate studies to their graduate studies, as they may discover new interests or career paths. When considering a field change, important factors to consider include personal interests, career goals, academic strengths and weaknesses, and program availability and funding. To prepare for a field change, students can research potential programs, gain relevant experience, network with professionals, and seek advice from advisors. Challenges that may arise when changing fields in graduate studies include adjusting to a new academic program, catching up on required coursework, and building a new network.
stann999
Is it possible for me to get a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or materials science, then go to graduate school from there to study nuclear engineering, or do you have to stay in the same engineering field throughout the entire period of study?

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the institution and if they are willing to accept you or not.

What is the difference between undergraduate and graduate studies?

Undergraduate studies refer to a bachelor's degree program, while graduate studies refer to a higher level of education beyond a bachelor's degree. Graduate studies typically involve more specialized coursework and research, and often lead to a master's or doctoral degree.

Is it common to change fields from undergraduate to graduate studies?

Yes, it is fairly common for students to change fields from their undergraduate studies to their graduate studies. Many students discover new interests or career paths during their undergraduate studies and decide to pursue those fields in their graduate studies.

What factors should I consider when changing fields from undergraduate to graduate studies?

Some important factors to consider when changing fields from undergraduate to graduate studies include your personal interests, career goals, academic strengths and weaknesses, and the availability of programs and funding in your desired field.

How can I prepare for a field change in my graduate studies?

To prepare for a field change in your graduate studies, you can start by researching potential programs and their requirements, taking relevant courses or gaining experience in your desired field, networking with professionals in the field, and seeking advice from advisors or mentors.

What challenges may I face when changing fields in my graduate studies?

Some challenges you may face when changing fields in your graduate studies include adjusting to a new academic program and expectations, catching up on any required coursework or knowledge in your new field, and building a new network of colleagues and mentors in your desired field.