Changing proxy server for WiFi in Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in setting up a proxy server for Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick devices connected to the same WiFi. The internet provider recently changed the proxy settings and provided a new set of proxies to use. While the proxies work fine on laptops and mobile devices, there is no option to configure them on the Amazon devices. It is also not possible to set the proxy server on the TP-Link router. The question arises if these high-end devices lack basic settings or if there is a way to configure the proxy server that is being missed.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
One of my relatives has an Amazon Echo Dot and a Fire TV Stick. Both are connected to the same WiFi.

Recently, their internet provider changed the proxy settings such that the default proxy no longer works. They have provided a set of proxies that can be used instead. We have manually set those proxies in our laptop/mobiles, and they work fine.

However, we have been unable to configure the proxy for the two Amazon devices. I searched Google, and for the Echo Dot, went to manual setup, but under advanced settings, there were options for IP, Subnet Mask, DNS 1 and DNS 2. No proxy. In the Fire TV stick as well, we could not find a way to configure the proxy server.

I also found that it is not possible to set proxy server in any router. (They have a TP-Link router.)

Are these simple settings really unavailable on these high-end devices? Or are we missing it?

N.B.: The proxy servers are provided as x.y.z.w, where w has four values. One port is given too.

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
ISPs in most of the world haven't forced us through proxy servers for about 25 years so I'm not sure you will get much help here I'm afraid.

• Sad
Likes Wrichik Basu
Wrichik: Seems like you may want to try Stack Overflow or Super User?

WWGD said:
Wrichik: Seems like you may want to try Stack Overflow or Super User?
Definitely not SO because the question is not suited to SO. But SU, let's see.

1. How do I change the proxy server for my Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick?

To change the proxy server for your Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick, you will need to access the network settings on your device. From there, you can select the option to manually configure the network and enter the proxy server information provided by your network administrator.

2. Can I use a different proxy server for my WiFi connection on my Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick?

Yes, you can use a different proxy server for your WiFi connection on your Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick. You will need to access the network settings and manually configure the network with the new proxy server information.

3. Why would I need to change the proxy server for my Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick?

There are a few reasons why you may need to change the proxy server for your Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick. This could be due to network restrictions, security concerns, or to access content that is only available through a specific proxy server.

4. Can I change the proxy server for my Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick remotely?

No, you cannot change the proxy server for your Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick remotely. You will need to physically access the device and make the changes through the network settings.

5. Will changing the proxy server affect the performance of my Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick?

In most cases, changing the proxy server for your Amazon Echo Dot and Fire TV Stick should not affect its performance. However, if the new proxy server is slow or unreliable, it may impact the device's ability to connect to the internet and stream content.