Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Changing the capacitance of an object to trigger a capacitive touchscreen

1. Jul 8, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to trigger a human touch in a capacitive touchscreen without the 'human' part. I've noticed that the negative pole of a battery triggers it if you are currently holding it. Or if you use the edge - why only the edge? - of a wire touching the battery and your hand. I also attached a wire in a metal bottle and connected the battery to it's end (with the battery touching the screen) and it also worked - but sometimes it also didn't.

The question is: How can I trigger a touch on the screen without the human touch, using objects from the hardware store?

I have almost no physics knowledge for this, so you guys have to tell me exactly what to do (which material, where to buy and etc).

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2011 #2
    Have you tried touching it with one lead of a capacitor?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook