Changing the Limits of Summation

In summary, the homework equations are:-The sum of a sequence is the sum of the individual terms.-If one variable is changed, the sum is unchanged.
LiHJ

Homework Statement

Dear Mentors and PF helpers,

Here's my question, I see these on my textbook but couldn't really understand how they derived this short cut.
Please show me how they got to these. Thank you for your time.

image.jpg

Homework Equations

These is what I understand from now.

image.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
So we have the sum [itex] \displaystyle \sum_{r=m}^n T_r [/itex]. We may change the index of summation from r to s=r+k. Then because r starts from m, s should start from m+k and because r ends at n, s should end at n+k. This means that we changed our summation to [itex] \displaystyle \sum_{s=m+k}^{n+k}T_{s-k} [/itex]. But you should note that this sum doesn't depend on s as the first sum didn't depend on r. r and s are just dummy indices because after you do the sums, there'll remain no sign of them. So I can safely rename s to r. But because the sums are just numbers and because the changes I did to the first sum doesn't change the result, I'll have:
[itex] \displaystyle \sum_{r=m}^n T_r=\sum_{r=m+k}^{n+k}T_{r-k} [/itex].

Dear Shyan,

Do you mind giving me a better view with these words, can give your explanation with examples to explain these.

Thank you for your time

[itex] \displaystyle \sum_{r=m}^n T_r=T_m+T_{m+1}+T_{m+2}+\dots+T_{n-2}+T_{n-1}+T_n [/itex]

[itex] \displaystyle \sum_{r=m+k}^{n+k} T_{r-k}=T_{m+k-k}+T_{m+k+1-k}+T_{m+k+2-k}+\dots+T_{n+k-2-k}+T_{n+k-1-k}+T_{n+k-k}=\\ T_m+T_{m+1}+T_{m+2}+\dots+T_{n-2}+T_{n-1}+T_n[/itex]

Is it clear enough?

Thank you very much Shyan.;)

What is "Changing the Limits of Summation"?

"Changing the Limits of Summation" refers to the process of altering the start and end values of a summation, also known as a series, in order to calculate the sum of a different range of numbers.

Why would someone want to change the limits of summation?

Changing the limits of summation allows for greater flexibility in calculations. It can be useful when dealing with infinite series, when only part of a series needs to be evaluated, or when shifting the starting point of a series.

What is the formula for changing the limits of summation?

The formula is: ∑k=mnf(k) = ∑k=pqf(k + m - p), where m and n are the original start and end values, and p and q are the new start and end values.

Are there any restrictions when changing the limits of summation?

Yes, the limits must be integers and the new start value must be less than or equal to the new end value. Additionally, the original and new start values must have the same parity (both even or both odd).

Can changing the limits of summation affect the overall value of the series?

Yes, changing the limits can result in a different value for the sum of the series. This is because the new range of numbers being added may have a different pattern or trend compared to the original range.