Changing the Temperature in an MCNP code

In summary, the conversation is about the process of changing dimensions, densities, and material number identifier in MCNP and how it affects the volume of the cells. The speaker mentions that MCNP will attempt to calculate the volume automatically, but it may be unreliable. The manual process of altering the volume is also discussed, depending on the type of volume override or data card used. The speaker also mentions the use of a fancy editor for easier manipulation of the input file.
Zakariya
Hello everybody. I would like to ask a question;
if I change the dimensions and densities and the material number identifier ZAID to a specific temperature.
Does MCNP change automatically the volume of the cells? or I have to change the volume of each cell manually and indicate it in the cell cards?
Best.

Engineering news on Phys.org
MCNP will always attempt to calculate the volume. I've found it to be sometimes unreliable, but that was in old versions of the code and may be a quirk of the order I entered cell dimensions in, or some other rule I broke.

If you have a volume override card (explicit divisor FD) then you will need to alter that manually. If you have a VOL data card you will need to alter that manually. If you have a VOL= as part of your cell card you will need to alter that manually.

I'm assuming you are just text editing the input file. If you are using a fancy editor with a high level representation of the objects anything is possible.

Likes Zakariya
Thanks for your reply. I am using MCNP5 version, I change the volume of each cell manually. But when things get very complecated in determinating the volume of each cell ...

1. How do I change the temperature in an MCNP code?

To change the temperature in an MCNP code, you will need to modify the temperature card in the input file. This card is typically labeled as ‘T’ and is located near the beginning of the input file. You can specify the temperature in Kelvin or Celsius.

2. What is the effect of changing the temperature in an MCNP code?

Changing the temperature in an MCNP code can affect the cross-sections and other nuclear data used in the simulation. This is because temperature can impact the behavior of particles and materials, which can ultimately affect the results of the simulation. It is important to carefully consider the temperature used in the simulation to ensure accurate results.

3. Can I change the temperature during the simulation?

No, the temperature in an MCNP code is typically set at the beginning of the simulation and remains constant throughout. Changing the temperature during the simulation can lead to inaccurate results and is not recommended.

4. How do I know if I have set the correct temperature in my MCNP code?

You can check the temperature in your MCNP code by looking at the output file. The temperature will be listed under the ‘T’ card and should match the temperature you specified in the input file. Additionally, you can compare your results to experimental data or other simulations with similar temperature conditions to ensure accuracy.

5. Are there any limitations to changing the temperature in an MCNP code?

Yes, there are some limitations to changing the temperature in an MCNP code. The temperature should be within a reasonable range for the materials and particles being simulated. Additionally, extreme temperatures may require specialized nuclear data libraries. It is important to consult with experts and carefully consider the temperature used in the simulation to ensure accurate results.