1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools Changing undergrad. course in University

1. Apr 10, 2008 #1
    I'm currently an A2 student in the UK and I've received conditional offers from all my universities already. I originally wanted to do engineering but wants to do physics now, I emailed Imperial but they said Physics is full already but I can email them again once A-level results come out. How big of a chance can I switch course?

Even if they won't let me switch in the summer holiday, but if I'm accepted to engineering, will I be able to change course once the academic year has started??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2008 #2
    Not sure about the UK, but as far as Canadian Universities go you can switch to a different course or even degree during the beginning of the year. So long as there is space and that usually happens within the first week.

Also here they make us choose our degree in second year so as to give us some time to rethink our options. BTW, I would suggest you go to the physics courses even if your not enrolled within them, but just in case you do get in so your not left far behind.

4. Apr 10, 2008 #3
    Physics is full? They have to be lying.

5. Apr 10, 2008 #4
    Last year, Imperial had a 1:5 ratio for placement:applicant.

I know that at Imperial it is very difficult (after 1st 3weeks or so) to completely change disciplines ie going from Engineering to Physics, but there is more of a give between the various physics courses ie between Physics and Theoretical Phy.

I would say that your best option would be to try to get on the Physics course before you arrive at Imperial. It will be difficult as there are only ~250 places for first year Physics courses there.

6. Apr 10, 2008 #5
    when you say there are only 250 places in first year, do you mean that the number of places increases with every year or they decrease?

7. Apr 10, 2008 #6
    That is just a rough estimate for each year. It's how many is in my year (current 1st yr), and I don't believe that they're able to accommodate for more students, facilities-wise. The general lecture theatre that houses lectures that all first years take is at full capacity (when everyone attends!).
    I wouldn't be able to advise you exactly on numbers for he next academic year, you're best inquiring yourself. When I was applying, they were very helpful in their replies to my emails.

8. Apr 10, 2008 #7
    Not sure which school you go to, but most schools in Canada make you choose your major when entering. Places like UManitoba don't as they implement U1, but this is unusual.

9. Apr 10, 2008 #8
    Well I go to UofT. What they do here though is that they do force you to choose a Program (ex. Life Sci.) and a degree like Molecular Biology, but usually during first year the courses are very general when it comes to degrees within Life Science. So what they do is they get a rough estimate as to how many people are entering the degree, but they always allow for changes as you are forced to officially declare your degree by second year.

What is even more interesting is that you could enter into First year Life Science, do courses that are need for physics and then enter into a physics program as far as I am aware. I have seen people do this because they noticed Life Science wasn't really something they wanted to do. But this is usually harder to do since most courses have enrollment controls.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?