Changing undergrad. course in University

In summary: No, you can't switch to a different major after you declare your major. Not even if you change your mind halfway through the year. Once you declare your major, it's done.In summary, if you are accepted to Imperial and want to switch to a different course, you have a very small chance of doing so.
v_pino
I'm currently an A2 student in the UK and I've received conditional offers from all my universities already. I originally wanted to do engineering but wants to do physics now, I emailed Imperial but they said Physics is full already but I can email them again once A-level results come out. How big of a chance can I switch course?

Even if they won't let me switch in the summer holiday, but if I'm accepted to engineering, will I be able to change course once the academic year has started??

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure about the UK, but as far as Canadian Universities go you can switch to a different course or even degree during the beginning of the year. So long as there is space and that usually happens within the first week.

Also here they make us choose our degree in second year so as to give us some time to rethink our options. BTW, I would suggest you go to the physics courses even if your not enrolled within them, but just in case you do get in so your not left far behind.

Physics is full? They have to be lying.

Poop-Loops said:
Physics is full? They have to be lying.

Last year, Imperial had a 1:5 ratio for placement:applicant.

I know that at Imperial it is very difficult (after 1st 3weeks or so) to completely change disciplines ie going from Engineering to Physics, but there is more of a give between the various physics courses ie between Physics and Theoretical Phy.

I would say that your best option would be to try to get on the Physics course before you arrive at Imperial. It will be difficult as there are only ~250 places for first year Physics courses there.

when you say there are only 250 places in first year, do you mean that the number of places increases with every year or they decrease?

That is just a rough estimate for each year. It's how many is in my year (current 1st yr), and I don't believe that they're able to accommodate for more students, facilities-wise. The general lecture theatre that houses lectures that all first years take is at full capacity (when everyone attends!).
I wouldn't be able to advise you exactly on numbers for he next academic year, you're best inquiring yourself. When I was applying, they were very helpful in their replies to my emails.

BioCore said:
Not sure about the UK, but as far as Canadian Universities go you can switch to a different course or even degree during the beginning of the year. So long as there is space and that usually happens within the first week.

Also here they make us choose our degree in second year so as to give us some time to rethink our options. BTW, I would suggest you go to the physics courses even if your not enrolled within them, but just in case you do get in so your not left far behind.

Not sure which school you go to, but most schools in Canada make you choose your major when entering. Places like UManitoba don't as they implement U1, but this is unusual.

CaptainQuaser said:
Not sure which school you go to, but most schools in Canada make you choose your major when entering. Places like UManitoba don't as they implement U1, but this is unusual.

Well I go to UofT. What they do here though is that they do force you to choose a Program (ex. Life Sci.) and a degree like Molecular Biology, but usually during first year the courses are very general when it comes to degrees within Life Science. So what they do is they get a rough estimate as to how many people are entering the degree, but they always allow for changes as you are forced to officially declare your degree by second year.

What is even more interesting is that you could enter into First year Life Science, do courses that are need for physics and then enter into a physics program as far as I am aware. I have seen people do this because they noticed Life Science wasn't really something they wanted to do. But this is usually harder to do since most courses have enrollment controls.

1. Can I change my undergraduate course after starting at a university?

Yes, it is possible to change your undergraduate course after starting at a university. However, the process for doing so may vary depending on the policies and procedures of the specific university. It is important to consult with your academic advisor and the university's admissions office to understand the steps and requirements for changing your course.

2. What are the reasons for changing an undergraduate course?

There are many reasons why a student may choose to change their undergraduate course. Some common reasons include a change in academic interests, discovering new career goals, or realizing that the current course is not a good fit. It is important to carefully consider your reasons for wanting to change your course and to discuss them with your academic advisor.

3. Will changing my undergraduate course affect my graduation timeline?

It is possible that changing your undergraduate course may affect your graduation timeline. If you change your course early on in your academic career, it may be possible to adjust your schedule and still graduate on time. However, if you are further along in your current course, it may require additional time and coursework to complete the new course requirements. It is important to discuss this with your academic advisor to understand the potential impact on your graduation timeline.

4. Are there any financial implications to changing an undergraduate course?

Changing an undergraduate course may have financial implications, such as a change in tuition fees or the need to purchase new textbooks. It is important to consult with the university's financial aid office to understand any potential financial impacts of changing your course. Additionally, if you are receiving any scholarships or grants, be sure to check if they are contingent upon your current course and if they will still apply to the new course.

5. Are there any deadlines for changing an undergraduate course?

Deadlines for changing an undergraduate course may vary depending on the university and the specific course change request. It is important to be aware of any deadlines and to submit your request in a timely manner. Waiting until the last minute may limit your options and make it more difficult to change your course. Be sure to consult with your academic advisor and the university's admissions office to understand any deadlines and requirements for changing your course.