Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chaos (Non-Linear Dynamics) Driven Damped Pendulum

1. Jul 15, 2015 #1
    I want to investigate the phenomenon of Chaos in the form of how its driving amplitude affects _____, in a driven, damped pendulum, using a computer simulation given.

Initially I was looking at 'degree of chaos' for the dependent variable - to measure this I wanted to use the Lyapunov exponent, however I do not know how to calculate this.

1) Is there a simple way to calculate this? If not,
    2) Are there any other ways I can measure the 'degree of chaos' of this driven damped pendulum? If not,
    3) Are there any other possible things I can set as a dependent variable? With the system being chaotic, I do not know if I can measure any sort of correlation between two variables....

Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2015 #2
    For most pendulum type problems, you need two degrees of freedom (coordinates) to have chaos.

4. Jul 15, 2015 #3
    Yes, the driven damped pendulum is the addition of a torque, or force, to a simple pendulum with gravity and damping - there are 3 forces acting on it which makes it chaotic.

5. Jul 16, 2015 #4

atyy

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook