1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Characteristic and minimal polynomials

1. Nov 27, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let V be a finite dimensional complex vector space and T be the linear operator of V. Prove that the following are equivalent

a V has a basis consisting of eigenvectors of T.
    b T can be represented by a diagonal matrix.
    c all the eigenvalues of T have multiplicity one.
    d. the Characteristic polynomial of T equals the minimal polynomial of T.

2. Relevant equations

Not really applicable

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I proved A implies B, However, I feel that B does not imply C.

I just want to see if my argument is valid. because the identity matrix, is definitely diaganol however, it does not have a multiplicity of One. Can I assume wlog that T has distinct eigenvalues along the main diaganol?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 27, 2011 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are quite right. But I wouldn't assume wlog. That looses generality. B doesn't imply C period. I think whoever wrote the problem up had a memory lapse or forgot to state an assumption. You could assume they forgot that assumption and proceed from there.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  4. Nov 28, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

??? There are two "multiplicities", the geometric multiplicity (number of independent eigenvectors corresponding to the eigenvalue) and algebraic multiplicity (multiplicity as a root of the characteristic polynomial). But neither of those must be one in order that T can be represented by a diagonal matrix, only that, for each eigenvalue, the two multiplicities be the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook