Charge carrier injection in heterostructures - help with concept definition

In summary, a heterostructure is a junction between two or more different semiconductors with different bandgaps. Carrier injection through this junction allows for the movement of electrons and holes, creating a current or light emission through recombination. This is different from conduction through a metal-semiconductor contact, as metals do not have bandgaps. Super-injection is a term that refers to carrier generation, and it is mentioned in a paper by Portnoi (reference 4).
Presbitero
Hi,

I have this report to do on "Charge injection in heterostructures". I have been searching and reading but I still have some trouble with the basics, i.e. defining the concept.

As far as I understood a heterostructure is a junction between two or more different semiconductors and the carrier injections comes in the sense of bringing electrons and/or holes to the heterostructure through some kind of contact as a way of making a current or a light emitter by electron-hole recombination.

So the first question, is this correct?

What is difference between this and conduction through a metal-semiconductor contact? Is there such thing as a metal-heterostructure contact?

Does electron-hole pair formation by light counts as charge injection?

What is super-injection?

Can you advise me with some bibliography about this topic?

I'm really having trouble expanding this concept in details. Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
A heterostructure is simply a structure where the bandgap changes from one side of the junction to the another. That's it.

Carrier injection does not bring them to the heterostructure. It makes them cross the depletion region.

metals don't have bandgaps. So it won't be heterostructure. There is no such thing as a metal-heterostructure contact.

No. Its called carrier generation.

I never heard super-injection before. However here is a paper which mentions it.
http://www-5.unipv.it/eslw2010/ESLW_Portnoi abstract.pdf
Try to find the paper in reference 4.

Thank you!
I was thinking it wrong.

What is a heterostructure?

A heterostructure is a type of semiconductor structure composed of layers of different materials. These layers have different properties and bandgaps, allowing for the formation of a built-in electric field, which is important for charge carrier injection.

What is charge carrier injection?

Charge carrier injection is the process of introducing free electrons or holes into a semiconductor material to create a net charge. This is typically done by applying an external electric field or by using a metal electrode to inject carriers into the semiconductor.

How does charge carrier injection occur in heterostructures?

In heterostructures, charge carrier injection occurs when there is a difference in the bandgaps of the layers. This creates a built-in electric field, which can cause electrons or holes to move from one layer to another. This process is important for the operation of devices such as transistors and solar cells.

What factors affect charge carrier injection in heterostructures?

The bandgap and doping levels of the layers in a heterostructure are key factors that affect charge carrier injection. Other factors that can influence this process include the thickness of the layers, the type of interface between them, and the external electric field applied.

What are some potential applications of charge carrier injection in heterostructures?

Some potential applications of charge carrier injection in heterostructures include transistors, solar cells, light-emitting diodes, and lasers. These devices rely on the controlled movement of charge carriers between different layers of materials to function effectively.