The main charge carrier in the ionic crystal is polaron or conduction?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
Alkrima
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
Suppose I have a perfect crystal(e.g.TiO2-Rutile, band gap=3ev), under UV light, there should photoconductivity, according to the condensed matter theory, some of these excited conduction band electrons would form small polarons, I am wondering how many percent of the free conduction band electrons would form polarons, and how many of them would stay as free electrons until recombination with holes?
Suppose I have a perfect crystal(e.g.TiO2-Rutile, band gap=3ev), under UV light, there should photoconductivity, according to the condensed matter theory, some of these excited conduction band electrons would form small polarons, I am wondering how many percent of the free conduction band electrons would form polarons, and how many of them would stay as free electrons until recombination with holes?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
The answer will depend on the intensity, and also the wavelength of the UV light.