1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge densities and delta functions

1. Sep 16, 2016 #1
    Note from mentor: this thread was originally posted in a non-homework forum, therefore it lacks the homework template.

I was wondering if the electric charge density ##\rho({\bf{r}})## of a point charge ##q## at position ##{\bf{r}}_{0}## is given by ##\rho({\bf{r}})=q\delta^{(3)}({\bf{r}}-{\bf{r}}_{0})##.

If so, is this because ##\int d^{3}{\bf{r}}\ \rho({\bf{r}}) = \int d^{3}{\bf{r}}\ q\delta^{(3)}({\bf{r}}-{\bf{r}}_{0}) = q##?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2016 #2

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

If it's a point charge at rest, yes. Note that ##\delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_0)## is NOT a function BUT a distribution (generalized function)!

4. Sep 16, 2016 #3
    Let's say that now we have a point charge ##-q## at the origin and a point charge ##+q## at position ##\bf{r}_{0}##. Is the charge density of the dipole given by ##\rho({\bf{r}})=-q\delta^{(3)}({\bf{r}})+q\delta^{(3)}({\bf{r}-\bf{r}_{0}})##?

5. Sep 16, 2016 #4

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, but usually a dipole is defined as the approximation that ##r_0## is very small in the sense of the multipole expansion.

6. Sep 16, 2016 #5
    Thanks.

I'm also trying to find the charge density of a uniform infinitesimally thin spherical shell of radius ##R## and total charge ##Q## centred at the origin.

This is my attempt:

##\int\ \rho({\bf{r}})\ dV = Q##

##\lim\limits_{\epsilon\to 0}\ \int\limits_{R-\epsilon}^{R+\epsilon}\ \rho({\bf{r}})\ (\text{sin}\theta\ d\theta\ d\phi)\ (r^{2}dr) = Q##

##\lim\limits_{\epsilon\to 0}\ \int\limits_{R-\epsilon}^{R+\epsilon}\ \rho({\bf{r}})\ (r^{2}dr) = \frac{Q}{4\pi}##

Any hints on what to do next?

7. Sep 21, 2016 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about assuming ρ(r) = f(r) δ(r - r0) in your last integral
    because you know ρ will have to have an infinity at r0 to cancel out the dr in Q = ∫ρ(r) dV = ∫ρ(r) 4π r2 dr
    then putting that in your last integral and solving for f(r0) and stating f(r) = f(r0) with r0 = r.

PS I used r0 in lieu of your R.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  8. Nov 22, 2016 #7
    Sorry

What is the reason for ρ should have an infinity at r?????

9. Nov 22, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

ρ is infinite at r0.

It's because the shell of charge is modeled as having zero thickness. Since the shell contains a finite amount of charge, the density of charge must be infinite.

It's somewhat similar to a point charge. If a finite amount of charge occupies a single point, then the density of charge must be infinite.

10. Nov 22, 2016 #9
    Do you mean the volume is zero So the Q/volume=infinity?

11. Nov 22, 2016 #10

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the volume is zero. So the volume charge density ρ is infinite. The surface charge density is finite.

12. Nov 22, 2016 #11
    i See thank you

13. Nov 22, 2016 #12

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are welcome. I'm glad I could help.

14. Nov 22, 2016 #13
    there are one more question

How to use ρ at infinity to cancel out the dr in Q??

can you explain more

thank

15. Nov 22, 2016 #14

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure I understand the question. The idea is that ρ(r) is zero everywhere except where r = R. (I'm switching the notation from r0 to R for the radius of the spherical shell in order to conform to post # 5. Sorry for the notational confusion.) At r = R, ρ is infinite.

So, assume that ρ(r) is proportional to δ(r - R): ρ(r) = Cδ(r - R).

You just need to determine C. Do this by requiring ∫ρ(r)dV = Q for integration over all space. Express the integral in spherical coordinates and work out the value of C.

16. Nov 22, 2016 #15
    it look likes the C should be the surface charge density

17. Nov 22, 2016 #16

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.

18. Dec 2, 2016 #17
    Usually a dipole is formed as a limit as seperation d->0 but with charge q/d to compensate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted