Charge densities and delta functions

In summary: C?I'm not sure I understand the question. The idea is that ρ(r) is zero everywhere except where r = R. (I'm switching the notation from r0 to R for the radius of the spherical shell in order to conform to post # 5. Sorry for the notational confusion.) At r = R, ρ is infinite.So, assume that ρ(r) is proportional to δ(r - R): ρ(r) = Cδ(r - R). You just need to determine C. Do this by requiring ∫ρ(r)dV = Q for integration over all space. Express the integral
spaghetti3451
Note from mentor: this thread was originally posted in a non-homework forum, therefore it lacks the homework template.

I was wondering if the electric charge density ##\rho({\bf{r}})## of a point charge ##q## at position ##{\bf{r}}_{0}## is given by ##\rho({\bf{r}})=q\delta^{(3)}({\bf{r}}-{\bf{r}}_{0})##.

If so, is this because ##\int d^{3}{\bf{r}}\ \rho({\bf{r}}) = \int d^{3}{\bf{r}}\ q\delta^{(3)}({\bf{r}}-{\bf{r}}_{0}) = q##?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it's a point charge at rest, yes. Note that ##\delta^{(3)}(\vec{r}-\vec{r}_0)## is NOT a function BUT a distribution (generalized function)!

Let's say that now we have a point charge ##-q## at the origin and a point charge ##+q## at position ##\bf{r}_{0}##. Is the charge density of the dipole given by ##\rho({\bf{r}})=-q\delta^{(3)}({\bf{r}})+q\delta^{(3)}({\bf{r}-\bf{r}_{0}})##?

Yes, but usually a dipole is defined as the approximation that ##r_0## is very small in the sense of the multipole expansion.

Thanks.

I'm also trying to find the charge density of a uniform infinitesimally thin spherical shell of radius ##R## and total charge ##Q## centred at the origin.

This is my attempt:

##\int\ \rho({\bf{r}})\ dV = Q##

##\lim\limits_{\epsilon\to 0}\ \int\limits_{R-\epsilon}^{R+\epsilon}\ \rho({\bf{r}})\ (\text{sin}\theta\ d\theta\ d\phi)\ (r^{2}dr) = Q##

##\lim\limits_{\epsilon\to 0}\ \int\limits_{R-\epsilon}^{R+\epsilon}\ \rho({\bf{r}})\ (r^{2}dr) = \frac{Q}{4\pi}##

Any hints on what to do next?

failexam said:
Thanks.

I'm also trying to find the charge density of a uniform infinitesimally thin spherical shell of radius ##R## and total charge ##Q## centred at the origin.

This is my attempt:

##\int\ \rho({\bf{r}})\ dV = Q##

##\lim\limits_{\epsilon\to 0}\ \int\limits_{R-\epsilon}^{R+\epsilon}\ \rho({\bf{r}})\ (\text{sin}\theta\ d\theta\ d\phi)\ (r^{2}dr) = Q##

##\lim\limits_{\epsilon\to 0}\ \int\limits_{R-\epsilon}^{R+\epsilon}\ \rho({\bf{r}})\ (r^{2}dr) = \frac{Q}{4\pi}##

Any hints on what to do next?
How about assuming ρ(r) = f(r) δ(r - r0) in your last integral
because you know ρ will have to have an infinity at r0 to cancel out the dr in Q = ∫ρ(r) dV = ∫ρ(r) 4π r2 dr
then putting that in your last integral and solving for f(r0) and stating f(r) = f(r0) with r0 = r.

PS I used r0 in lieu of your R.

Last edited:
rude man said:
because you know ρ will have to have an infinity at r0 to cancel out the dr in Q = ∫ρ(r) dV = ∫ρ(r) 4π r2 dr
then putting that in your last integral and solving for f(r0) and stating f(r) = f(r0) with r0 = r.

Sorry

What is the reason for ρ should have an infinity at r?

garylau said:
Sorry

What is the reason for ρ should have an infinity at r?
ρ is infinite at r0.

It's because the shell of charge is modeled as having zero thickness. Since the shell contains a finite amount of charge, the density of charge must be infinite.

It's somewhat similar to a point charge. If a finite amount of charge occupies a single point, then the density of charge must be infinite.

TSny said:
ρ is infinite at r0.

It's because the shell of charge is modeled as having zero thickness. Since the shell contains a finite amount of charge, the density of charge must be infinite.

It's somewhat similar to a point charge. If a finite amount of charge occupies a single point, then the density of charge must be infinite.
Do you mean the volume is zero So the Q/volume=infinity?

garylau said:
Do you mean the volume is zero So the Q/volume=infinity?
Yes, the volume is zero. So the volume charge density ρ is infinite. The surface charge density is finite.

Likes garylau
TSny said:
Yes, the volume is zero. So the volume charge density ρ is infinite. The surface charge density is finite.
i See thank you

You are welcome. I'm glad I could help.

rude man said:

there are one more question

How to use ρ at infinity to cancel out the dr in Q??

can you explain more

thank

garylau said:
there are one more question

How to use ρ at infinity to cancel out the dr in Q??

can you explain more

thank
I'm not sure I understand the question. The idea is that ρ(r) is zero everywhere except where r = R. (I'm switching the notation from r0 to R for the radius of the spherical shell in order to conform to post # 5. Sorry for the notational confusion.) At r = R, ρ is infinite.

So, assume that ρ(r) is proportional to δ(r - R): ρ(r) = Cδ(r - R).

You just need to determine C. Do this by requiring ∫ρ(r)dV = Q for integration over all space. Express the integral in spherical coordinates and work out the value of C.

Likes garylau
TSny said:
I'm not sure I understand the question. The idea is that ρ(r) is zero everywhere except where r = R. (I'm switching the notation from r0 to R for the radius of the spherical shell in order to conform to post # 5. Sorry for the notational confusion.) At r = R, ρ is infinite.

So, assume that ρ(r) is proportional to δ(r - R): ρ(r) = Cδ(r - R).

You just need to determine C. Do this by requiring ∫ρ(r)dV = Q for integration over all space. Express the integral in spherical coordinates and work out the value of C.
it look likes the C should be the surface charge density

garylau said:
it look likes the C should be the surface charge density
Yes, that's right.

Likes garylau
Usually a dipole is formed as a limit as separation d->0 but with charge q/d to compensate.

1. What is a charge density?

A charge density is a measure of the amount of electric charge per unit volume at a given point in space. It is typically denoted by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and has units of coulombs per cubic meter (C/m3).

2. How is charge density related to electric field?

Charge density and electric field are related through Gauss's Law, which states that the electric field at a point is proportional to the charge density at that point. This relationship is given by the equation E = ρ/ε0, where E is the electric field, ρ is the charge density, and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

3. What is a delta function?

A delta function, also known as a Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is used to model a point-like source or impulse in physics. It is defined as having a value of zero everywhere except at a single point, where it has a value of infinity, and has an area of 1 under its curve.

4. How are charge densities and delta functions related?

In the context of electric charge, a delta function can be used to represent a point charge at a specific location. The charge density at that point can then be calculated by multiplying the delta function by the charge of the point charge. In other words, the charge density is the integral of the delta function over the volume containing the point charge.

5. What is the significance of charge densities and delta functions in electrostatics?

In electrostatics, charge densities and delta functions are important concepts in understanding and calculating electric fields and potentials. They allow us to model and analyze the behavior of point charges and continuous charge distributions. Delta functions also play a role in solving boundary value problems, where the electric field or potential is known at certain points and needs to be determined at other points.