Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Charge Density and Neuronal Cells-Help!

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    Charge Density and Neuronal Cells--Help!

The cell membrane if a typical nerve cell consists of an inner and outer wall separated by a distance of 0.10 µm. The electric field within the cell membrane is 7.0 x 105 N/C. Approximating the cell membrane as a parallel plate capacitor, determine the magnitude of the charge density on the inner and outer cell walls.

E=charge density/Eo
    Q=charge density*Area

I tried doing this problem by using E=Charge density/Eo and just solving for charge density. I'm not really quite sure how to find the area to use in the equation (I know its cylindrical, but I'm not sure how I can find the area with just the distance)

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2007 #2
    bump for answer :smile:

4. Jan 11, 2007 #3

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well using the first equation rearrange for charge density because thats all that is asked for. You know the E-field and epsilon nought is a constant. It is however a very crude approximation as the cell is more cylindrical than anything else and the gap is not a vacuum.

5. Jan 11, 2007 #4
    That is what i did. I solved for charge density by the equation derived in my text book for cylindrical approximations and got 1.239x10^-5 C/m^2 when using the equation, Charge Density = E*2Eo. However, when I type this answer in (it's online homework), it keeps saying it is incorrect, which is making me wonder if I am missing something??

6. Jan 11, 2007 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question states treating it as a parallel plate capacitor not a cylindrical one. For a parallel plate the charge density will be half the value you have obtained.

7. Jan 11, 2007 #6
    Nevermind, I got it, FINALLY!

I had to solve for Q using E=k*(Q/r^2) then find Area and solve for charge density by Q/A.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook