1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about parallel plate stuff

1. May 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cell membrane consists of an inner and outer wall separated by a distance of approximately 10 nm. Assume that the walls act like a parallel plate capacitor, each with a charge density of 10^−5C/m^2, and the outer wall is positively charged. Although unrealistic, assume that the space between cell walls is filled with air.

Part A
    What is the magnitude of the electric field between the membranes? Answer: 1*10^6 N/C

Part B
    What is the magnitude of the force on a K+ ion between the cell walls? Answer: 2*10^-13 N

Part C
    What is the potential difference between the cell walls? Answer: 1*10^-2 V

Question : If released from the inner wall, what would be the kinetic energy of a 7 fC charge at the outer wall? 1fC = 10^−15C.

2. Relevant equations
    KE = q*Delta(v)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved each of the other parts of this question. I found that Delta V was 1×10^−2V. The question states that 1fC is 10^-15 C. I plugged in for KE = (7*10^-15)(0.01V), and keep getting 7*10^-17. However the answer is 8*10^-17. Can anyone catch my mistake, or am i using the wrong formula?

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi johnknee. :welcome:

There is a figure to accompany this problem, I believe?

4. May 22, 2016 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you compute part A? Your answer is low by about 11.3%.

5. May 23, 2016 #4
    For part A, I used the equation E = charge density/Permittivity of free space = 10^-5/(8.85*10^-12) = 1*10^6 N/C

6. May 23, 2016 #5

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

= 1.13×106 N/C

7. May 23, 2016 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your calculator needs to show more decimal points!

8. May 23, 2016 #7
    Yeah I have many decimal points haha, it's just that the answer given by masteringphysics is in 1 sig fig.

9. May 23, 2016 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well, yer' not likely to master it with that! LOL

10. May 24, 2016 #9

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's ok to round the answer to 1 sig fig to match the precision of the inputs, but you should keep more digits throughout the calculation in between.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted