Charge distribution among connected metal spheres -- Simple question

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving charges being distributed on spheres and the assumption that they would be distributed equally. There was some disagreement about the correct answer, with one person believing it to be Q/3 and another believing it to be Q/4. The conversation also referenced a similar problem with a different outcome.
lightlightsup
Homework Statement
See image.
Relevant Equations
See image.
My answer was +Q/3.
I was assuming that the charges would distributed themselves completely.
But, apparently, I'm wrong?
For example, if there were 12##e^-##s on Sphere C, then, in the first step in the system: the ##e^-##s would balance out until each sphere has 4 ##e^-##s each?
What am I getting wrong here?
media_760_7609866f-4102-4290-a64f-291ef225ffbc_phpcFiZpf.png

Similar problem here?:
phpA4taEQ.png

Physics news on Phys.org
If there are only A and C, the both have charge Q/2 by connection and subsequent separation. Then pull A left and right as to form original A and B and separate them finally. Each side shares charge in half.

lightlightsup said:
Homework Statement:: See image.
Relevant Equations:: See image.

My answer was +Q/3.
I was assuming that the charges would distributed themselves completely.
But, apparently, I'm wrong?
For example, if there were 12##e^-##s on Sphere C, then, in the first step in the system: the ##e^-##s would balance out until each sphere has 4 ##e^-##s each?
What am I getting wrong here?
I agree with you that the answer should be Q/3. Look at the second step in 18.4.4 where all three conductors are connected. They all are at the same potential. If the spheres are identical (no reason to assume otherwise), they must all carry the same fraction of the total charge, Q/3. Disconnecting the wire between A and C just traps the charge on C and the AB combination that is still connected. No charge will flow from A to B or B to A because they already have equal amounts of charge. The answer in 21.3.7 is not (b) because of similar considerations. (On edit) The answer given for the second situation is (b).

Your assumption that the charges are distributed equally is correct. By symmetry if two identical conductors are connected, there is no reason for one conductor to have more charge than the other (we neglect any charge on the connecting wire). You may wish to ask your teacher about this.

Last edited:
Likes lightlightsup
kuruman said:
I agree with you that the answer should be Q/3. Look at the second step in 18.4.4 where all three conductors are connected. They all are at the same potential. If the spheres are identical (no reason to assume otherwise), they must all carry the same fraction of the total charge, Q/3. Disconnecting the wire between A and C just traps the charge on C and the AB combination that is still connected. No charge will flow from A to B or B to A because they already have equal amounts of charge. The answer in 21.3.7 is not (b) because of similar considerations.

Your assumption that the charges are distributed equally is correct. By symmetry if two identical conductors are connected, there is no reason for one conductor to have more charge than the other (we neglect any charge on the connecting wire). You may wish to ask your teacher about this.

LOL. Here I was, hoping someone would tell me I was wrong about my understanding of something.
Those are official answers from Wiley.

Wiley has been known to be in error, mostly typos from poorly proofed copy by poorly paid editors. Your teacher is the ultimate authority.

Likes lightlightsup
As kuruma n pointed out you have to assume the radii of all spheres is the same or you can't do the problem.
Under this assumption , looks like the answer should be Q/3 all right.

rude man said:
As kuruma n pointed out you have to assume the radii of all spheres is the same or you can't do the problem.
Under this assumption , looks like the answer should be Q/3 all right.
Also, you need to assume that that radius is much smaller than the distances between the spheres.
@lightlightsup , what are you getting for the second problem? I get the book answer. Note that A starts with a charge of 2Q here.

The answer to the second problem is the book's answer. I cannot reconstruct from memory what I was thinking when I posted the original version of #3 about it.

I'm probably wrong, but I still tend to believe that the answer to 18.44 is Q/4.

haruspex said:
Also, you need to assume that that radius is much smaller than the distances between the spheres.
@lightlightsup , what are you getting for the second problem? I get the book answer. Note that A starts with a charge of 2Q here.
I was referring to problem 18.4.4 for which the answer I got was Q/3. Prob. 21.3.7 was labeled "similar problem" by the OP. Anyway I did not look at 21.3.7.

kuruman said:
The answer to the second problem is the book's answer. I cannot reconstruct from memory what I was thinking when I posted the original version of #3 about it.
Like others among us I believe you confused prob. 18.4.4 with 21.7.3.

rude man said:
Like others among us I believe you confused prob. 18.4.4 with 21.7.3.
I was right in the first place to say that the book's answer is incorrect for 21.3.7. I restored post #3 and crossed out my comments in #8.
haruspex said:
And C starts with charge +Q, not 0. The label for C could be mistaken for 0 although +0 doesn't make much sense.

Question 21.3.7:
Initial distribution
QA = +2Q; QB = 0; QC = +Q
Connect A and B
QA = +Q; QB = +Q; QC = +Q
##\dots##

kuruman said:
And C starts with charge +Q, not 0.
Ah yes, I should have expanded the image.

1. What is charge distribution among connected metal spheres?

Charge distribution among connected metal spheres refers to the way in which electric charge is distributed among multiple metal spheres that are connected together. This can occur through the transfer of electrons or through the redistribution of existing charges.

2. How is charge distributed among connected metal spheres?

The distribution of charge among connected metal spheres depends on several factors, including the size and shape of the spheres, the amount of charge present, and the type of connection between the spheres. In general, charges will distribute themselves evenly among the spheres to minimize the overall energy of the system.

3. What determines the amount of charge on each connected metal sphere?

The amount of charge on each connected metal sphere is determined by the initial charge present on each sphere and the type of connection between them. If the spheres are connected by a conducting wire, the charges will redistribute themselves until they are evenly distributed among the spheres. If the spheres are connected by an insulating material, the charges will remain fixed on each sphere.

4. What happens if the spheres are connected by a conducting wire?

If the spheres are connected by a conducting wire, the charges will redistribute themselves until they are evenly distributed among the spheres. This is because the conducting wire allows for the free flow of electrons, which will move from areas of higher charge to areas of lower charge until equilibrium is reached. This results in each sphere having the same amount of charge.

5. How does the charge distribution among connected metal spheres affect the overall electric potential?

The charge distribution among connected metal spheres affects the overall electric potential by creating an electric field between the spheres. This electric field is strongest near the spheres and weaker in between them. The potential difference between the spheres is also affected by the distance between them and the amount of charge on each sphere.