1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge Distribution from Known Potential - Induced on Surface of Metal Sphere

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the method of images: discuss the problem of a point-charge “q” inside a hollow, grounded, conducting-sphere-shell of inner radius “a”. That charge "q" is located at [tex]{\left| {{{{\bf{\vec r}}}_0}} \right|}[/tex]. We don't care about its angular position. Oh yes: the problem is two dimensional: as you will see, potential is termed as r, theta dependent.

(b) Find the induced surface-charge density. The potential is known to be:
    [tex]\Phi (r,\theta ) = \frac{q}{{4\pi {\varepsilon _0}}}\left( {\frac{1}{{\sqrt {{r^2} + {{\left| {{{{\bf{\vec r}}}_0}} \right|}^2} - 2r\left| {{{{\bf{\vec r}}}_0}} \right|\cos \theta } }} - \frac{a}{{\sqrt {{r^2}{{\left| {{{{\bf{\vec r}}}_0}} \right|}^2} + {a^4} - 2r\left| {{{{\bf{\vec r}}}_0}} \right|{a^2}\cos \theta } }}} \right)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations 3. The attempt at a solution

Surface charge density: it’s derived from integral Gauss’s Law:
    [tex]\int {{\bf{\vec E}} \bullet d{\bf{\vec A}}} = \frac{Q}{{{\varepsilon _0}}}{\rm{ }} \to {\rm{ }}{\bf{\vec E}}(r,\theta ) = \frac{Q}{{{\varepsilon _0}\int {d{\bf{\vec A}}} }} = \frac{{\sigma (r,\theta )}}{{{\varepsilon _0}}}[/tex] [I.2]

And: curl-less-ness of electric field:
    [tex]{\bf{\vec E}} = - \vec \nabla \Phi [/tex] [I.3]

Then: [I.2] and [I.3] give the surface-charge density as a function of the potential we derived as:
    [tex]\sigma = - {\varepsilon _0}\left| {\vec \nabla \Phi } \right|[/tex]

The spherical gradient operator reduced to polar coordinates:
    [tex]\vec \nabla = {\bf{\hat r}}\frac{\partial }{{\partial r}} + \hat \theta \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial }{{\partial \theta }}[/tex]

Umm…I feel like I’m doing this really wrong. Never have I needed to use the "theta-hat" in computation…only in conceptually grasping the field of a dipole.

Then: someone tells me to use:
    [tex]\sigma = {\left. {{\varepsilon _0}\frac{{\partial \Phi (r,\theta )}}{{\partial r}}} \right|_{r = a}}[/tex]

But I disagree: neither the charge distribution nor the potential are symmetric in "theta". Surely: as you "tilt through theta" away from the charge hovering outside the metal sphere: the charge will go from positive to negative when you've gone from theta = 0 (right under the charge) to theta = pi (on the opposite pole of the metal-sphere, away from the charge)?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, [itex]\int\textbf{E}\cdot d\textbf{A} = \textbf{E}\cdot\int d\textbf{A}[/itex] not [itex]\textbf{E}\int d\textbf{A}[/itex], and only in the case where [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex] is uniform/constant over the surface. And, [itex]\textbf{a}\cdot\textbf{b}= c[/itex] does not mean that [tex]\textbf{a}=\frac{c}{\textbf{b}}[/tex]

"someone" is correct. The equation comes from the boundary conditions on the [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex]-field as it crosses a surface. The component of the normal [itex]\textbf{E}[/itex]-field that is perpendicular to the surface will be discontinuous by an amount [itex]\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_{0}}[/itex] (this is likely derived in your textbook directly from Gauss' Law, and I strongly recommend you read that section of your text).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    I think I see it. The field discontinuity across a charged surface is:
    [itex]{{\bf{\vec E}}_{above}} - {{\bf{\vec E}}_{below}} = \sigma /{\varepsilon _0}[/itex]

...in which you use the field/potential relation:
    [itex]{\bf{\vec E}} = - {\mathop{\rm grad}\nolimits} (\Phi )[/itex]

...to get what "someone" told me:
    [itex]\sigma = - {\varepsilon _0}\frac{{\partial \Phi }}{{\partial r}}[/itex]

...and I'm just the short distance of "plug-n'-chug" away from a possibly-correct charge density. No?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook