1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge distribution on spheres

1. Jul 7, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two conducting spheres having same charge density badadd759c20b0351498736507.png and with radius “R” & “2R” are brought in contact and separated by large distance. What are their final surface charge densities ?
    2. Relevant equations
    No equation in question.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried using the fact that distribution of charges on spheres are proportional to their radii but end up with the wrong answer.

Also how to calculate charge distribution for same question but on different shapes.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi Suyash Singh,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

According to the forum rules you need to show some details in your attempt at solution. What equations did you use and how did you apply them? What result did you get (even if you believe it to be incorrect)?

4. Jul 9, 2017 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The distribution of charge on conducting spheres in direct contact is a very hard problem. It is quite different from two well-separated spheres connected by a wire.
    See e.g. http://www.physics.princeton.edu/~mcdonald/examples/twospheres.pdf.

5. Jul 9, 2017 #4

Delta²

Gold Member

Where the following reasoning goes wrong?
    "During contact the spheres exchange electric charge so that the final equilibrium is when both have the same potential. The potential of each sphere is given by [tex]V=K\frac{Q}{R}[/tex]" so the equilibrium is when [tex]\frac{Q}{R}=\frac{Q'}{R'}[/tex]"

6. Jul 9, 2017 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's for a sphere in isolation. Each sphere's potential is affected by the charge on the other sphere, and the distributions will not be uniform.

7. Jul 9, 2017 #6

Delta²

Gold Member

Ok I see but , as also the paper that you linked says, this reasoning is correct for the zero order approximation. This problem probably is given in high school, so for high school physics this approximation can be taken as correct?

8. Jul 9, 2017 #7

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

According to Suyash, that got the wrong answer.

9. Jul 9, 2017 #8
    well the answer is 5/3sigma and 5/6 sigma

i did this in my exam too but it doesnt give the correct answer.

10. Jul 9, 2017 #9
    by the way its school physics so only basic formulas would be required and everything would be ideal.
    I also did this through "charging by contact method" but that also doesnt seem to work:cry:

11. Jul 9, 2017 #10

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I believe it does give the answer you quote. Please post your working.

12. Jul 9, 2017 #11
    here's what i did
    let $ be sigma(surface charge density)
    k(q)/r=k(q')/2r
    whch can be written as
    $ pi r r/r=$ pi 4 r r/2r
    -$=0
    which doesnt make sense

13. Jul 10, 2017 #12

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

They have the same surface charge density and different potentials before they are brought into contact.
    When they come into contact, both densities change and the potentials become equal. Only then can you apply k(q)/r=k(q')/2r.

14. Jul 10, 2017 #13

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

15. Jul 10, 2017 #14

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your approach is OK as far as it goes but you also need to relate charges on the two spheres before and after contact. There is Q and Q' before contact and there is different Q and Q' after contact, but the sum of before & after is constant.

16. Jul 10, 2017 #15

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The charges become redistributed while in contact. Once they lose contact, those charges are fixed. Only the way each charge is distributed changes after that.
    To make the problem work, it should have specified that they are kept well apart but connected by a thin wire . That is a very standard formulation.
    .... as I wrote, and Suyash acknowledged, in post #12.

17. Jul 10, 2017 #16

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The wire is not needed; why should the potentials change relatively once they have made contact?
    EDITed again.
    @haruspex I will send you a private note, see what you think.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  18. Jul 10, 2017 #17

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

While in contact, they share the charge, distributed so as to have the same potential on both surfaces. But what is that potential, and how much charge is on each sphere? This is a tough problem, and as I understand it there is no exact solution.
    Did you follow the link I posted?

19. Jul 10, 2017 #18

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

??

20. Jul 10, 2017 #19

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wind up with the assumption that the potential, upon contact, whatever it may be, is unchanged for both spheres after they're separated. I still can't rigorously defend that assumption but I'm pretty certain it's assumed in the problem statement, especially since it's supposed to be below college engineering level physics. Connecting the two spheres by a wire as haruspex describes would remove the need for that assumption.

21. Jul 10, 2017 #20

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Very unlikely. While in contact, the potential at each is the result of the charge distribution over both spheres.
    Have you read the paper I linked to yet?
    Take a look at eqn 4.1 at http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/royprsa/468/2145/2829.full.pdf.

Edit: using that equation I get that for spheres radius R, 2R and total charge Q the potential while in contact is ##\frac Q{2R\ln 3}##. The individual charges are ##\frac Q2\left(1-\frac{\pi\sqrt 3}{9\ln 3}\right)## and ##\frac Q2\left(1+\frac{\pi\sqrt 3}{9\ln 3}\right)##

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted