1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge on spheres connected by wire

1. Feb 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A total charge of 2.600 C is shared by two metallic spheres A (radius 7.00 cm) and B (radius 5.00 cm) that are connected by a thin wire of length 1.00 m. Find the charge on sphere A. (Note that the influence of sphere B is not negligible.)

2. Relevant equations

I presume that (kq)/r will come into play, and also that Q1+Q2 will equal 2.600 C

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that for a similar problem where the distance between the two spheres can be considered large enough that their influence is negligable that the problem can simply be solved by rearranging q1+q2=2.6C to find one of the charges in terms of the other, and substituting that result into (kq1)/r1=(kq2)/r2 will allow one to find the charges.

However, I don't know how to approach the problem in the knowledge that the influence of one sphere on the other is no longer negligable. I suspect it will have an influence on how I equate the potentials, but I'm not sure exactly how. Any suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2009 #2
    Figured it out. :)

I'm sure I'll have another electric field/electric potential question coming up for you guys over the next few days though, so you'll have another oppurtunity to welcome me :P

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook