Two conductors connected by a thin wire

In summary: And what about the potentials? Will they change or remain the same?The potentials will decrease because the distance between the spheres and (s3) increases. So the final potential of (s1) and (s2) will be v1=Q1/4∏ε(40R) +Q2/4∏ε(40R) and v2=Q1/4∏ε(40R) +Q2/4∏ε(40R) , is that correct?Yes, that is correct. In summary, after cutting the wire and moving (s3) away, the charges Q1 and Q2 on (s1) and (s2) remain the same while Q3 becomes
amjad-sh
The problem is :The conducting spheres (s1) of radius R and (s2) of radius 2R of the figure shown are connected by a thin wire. The conducting sphere (s3) of radius R is connected to ground. A charge Q is placed on the sphere (s1).

1- Determine the charges Q1,Q2,and Q3 thus distributed on the 3 spheres (s1),(s2) and (s3) respectivly.
2- Determine the respective potentials v1 and v2 on spheres (s1) and (s2).
3- Determine the self capacitance C of the group of spheres (s1) and (s2).
4-determine the coefficient of influence C' between the group of spheres (s1) and (s2) and sphere (s3).
5- The thin wire is now cut at points of contact with the two spheres (s1) and (s2),in moving sphere (s3) (always connected to earth) away from the spheres(s1) and(s2). What wouid then become :
a- The charges on (s1),(s2)and (s3)?
b-The potentials of (s1) and (s2)?

I solved question 1 in this way but I'm not sure about the solution:
1- v1=Q1/4∏εR +Q2/4∏ε(20R) +Q3/4∏ε(40R).
v2=Q1/4∏ε(20R) +Q2/4∏ε(2R) +Q3/4∏ε(20R).
as (s1) and (S2) are connected by a thin wire then:v1=v2...(1)
we can say that Q=Q1+Q2...(2)
v3=Q3/4∏εR +Q2/4∏ε(20R)+Q1/4∏ε(40R)=0...(3)

what I finally get is : Q1=(722/2239)Q, Q2=1517/2239)Q, Q3=-(939/22390)Q

Is condition (1) right ? since in question 2 he asked to determine v1 and v2. (or it is a trick?)

If anybody can help to be sure about my answer and complete the problem.
the figure is in the attachment.

Attachments

• Photo0626.jpg
    Photo0626.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 447
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you don't have to solve them in the given order, but plugging in the calculated charges to get the potentials is still an additional step.
Maybe in (1) you are allowed to ignore the small contributions to V1 and V2, then you can calculate Q1 and Q2 without the potentials.

mfb said:
Well, you don't have to solve them in the given order, but plugging in the calculated charges to get the potentials is still an additional step.
Maybe in (1) you are allowed to ignore the small contributions to V1 and V2, then you can calculate Q1 and Q2 without the potentials.

I didn't get what do you mean, if you can explain more?

Last edited:
mfb said:
I didn't get it.
simply my question is : Is condition (1) true (V1=V2) in my answer to question 1?

:smile:ok thanks.
Lets skip now to question 5,do you have any ideas to solve it ?

After the wire is cut, the charges on the spheres [...]

ok,where is the idea?

That is the idea. What happens to those charges? Do they change?

I think Q1 and Q2 will remain the same and Q3 will be 0 since (s3) is moved away and V3=0.

Right.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the purpose of connecting two conductors with a thin wire?

The purpose of connecting two conductors with a thin wire is to create an electrical circuit. The thin wire acts as a pathway for the flow of electrons between the two conductors, allowing for the transfer of electrical energy.

2. Can any type of wire be used to connect the two conductors?

No, it is important to use a thin wire made of a good conductor, such as copper or aluminum, to ensure efficient flow of electricity between the two conductors. Using a thicker or poor conductor wire can result in energy loss or even damage to the circuit.

3. What happens if the thin wire connecting the two conductors breaks?

If the thin wire breaks, it will disrupt the flow of electricity between the two conductors and the circuit will be incomplete. This can cause the circuit to stop working or malfunction. The broken wire will need to be replaced in order for the circuit to function properly again.

4. Can the length of the thin wire affect the circuit?

Yes, the length of the thin wire can affect the circuit. Longer wires have a higher resistance, which can reduce the flow of electricity and potentially affect the performance of the circuit. It is important to use the appropriate length of wire for the specific circuit.

5. Is there a limit to how many conductors can be connected by a thin wire?

Yes, there is a limit to how many conductors can be connected by a thin wire. This limit is determined by the capacity of the thin wire and the amount of current that can safely flow through it. It is important to follow the manufacturer's recommendations and guidelines when determining the number of conductors that can be connected by a thin wire.