1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charge, Potential, Work, and Electricity

1. Mar 12, 2009 #1
    SOLVED

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Moving a charge from point A, where the potential is 275 V, to point B, where the potential is 150 V, takes 4.0 10-4 J of work. What is the value of the charge?

2. Relevant equations

V= w/q

V= change in voltage
    w= work
    q= charge

3. The attempt at a solution

This problem seems simple enough, but for some reason I can't get the right answer. W= 4E-4 and then I divided it by the change in V (275- 150).

4E-4/ 115= 3.478E-6

Then I mulitplied by 1E6 to change the units into micro-Coulombs.

Yet this answer is wrong. What am I doing incorrectly??

Thanks in advance for the help!

~Phoenix

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

first 150-275 = 125 not 115

i thin you may have to be careful with signs here as well

hint dV = V2-V1, if it takes work to move a charge to a smaller potential can we say something about the charge?

Think which way the electric field is pointing and how a positive charge would want to move between the points

4. Mar 12, 2009 #3
    Oh.... I see what you're saying. (Sorry about the 115 thing, that was just my typing... the actual calculation was correct).

So instead it would be 4E-4/(150-275)= -3.2 Micro-C. Thanks so much! That makes perfect sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook