Charged mass connected to spring, swung in circle in mag. field

In summary, a 2-kg mass with a charge of 3.0 C is attached to a spring with an unstretched length of 20 cm and a force constant of 100 N/m. The mass is swung in a circle at a velocity of 5 m/s in a zero gravity environment with a 1.5-T magnetic field. The maximum radius of its motion can be found using the equations for centripetal force, Hooke's Law, and magnetic force. The elongation of the spring is assumed to be equal to the radius of the circular path.
clubguppy

Homework Statement

A spring with an unstretched length of 20 cm and a force constant of 100 N/m is attached to a 2-kg mass with a charge of 3.0 C. The mass is swung in a circle in a zero gravity environment, so that the spring is perfectly horizontal and is parallel to the radius of the circle, as shown at right. A vertical 1.5-T magnetic field permeates the entire region.

If the mass is moving at 5 m/s, what is the maximum radius of its motion?

Homework Equations

Centripetal Force: [itex]F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/itex]
Hooke's Law: [itex]F=kx[/itex] where k is the spring constant and x is elongation (how long the string is stretched)
Magnetic Force: [itex]F = qvBsin \theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried qvBsin(90 degrees) = [itex]qvB =F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r} + kr[/itex]
I assumed the force on the spring itself is the tenion (the constant * how long it stretched)

I'm not sure if I did it correctly...please help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is x in F = kx ?

clubguppy said:

Homework Statement

A spring with an unstretched length of 20 cm and a force constant of 100 N/m is attached to a 2-kg mass with a charge of 3.0 C. The mass is swung in a circle in a zero gravity environment, so that the spring is perfectly horizontal and is parallel to the radius of the circle, as shown at right. A vertical 1.5-T magnetic field permeates the entire region.

If the mass is moving at 5 m/s, what is the maximum radius of its motion?

Homework Equations

Centripetal Force: [itex]F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/itex]
Hooke's Law: [itex]F=kx[/itex] where k is the spring constant and x is elongation (how long the string is stretched)
Magnetic Force: [itex]F = qvBsin \theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried qvBsin(90 degrees) = [itex]qvB =F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r} + kr[/itex]
I assumed the force on the spring itself is the tenion (the constant * how long it stretched)

I'm not sure if I did it correctly...please help.

I have updated the information in the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
is the elongation is equal to radius of the circular path?

response

mukundpa said:
is the elongation is equal to radius of the circular path?

Yes, that is what I assumed. But, I can't get the radius in real number. What did I do wrong? Do you have suggestions for what I should do?

Should I change something about [itex]qvB =F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r} + kr[/itex] or do something different?

Last edited:

1. What is a charged mass connected to a spring?

A charged mass connected to a spring is a physics experiment that involves a small object with an electric charge attached to a spring, which is then swung in a circular motion.

2. How does a charged mass connected to a spring behave in a magnetic field?

When a charged mass connected to a spring is swung in a circular motion in a magnetic field, it experiences a force known as the Lorentz force, which causes it to move in a circular path perpendicular to the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to demonstrate the relationship between electricity, magnetism, and motion, as well as the principles of circular motion and the Lorentz force.

4. How does the strength of the magnetic field affect the motion of the charged mass connected to a spring?

The strength of the magnetic field directly affects the speed and radius of the circular motion of the charged mass connected to a spring. A stronger magnetic field will result in a faster speed and a smaller radius of the circular motion.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this experiment?

Yes, this experiment can be applied to various real-world technologies, such as electric motors and generators, where the principles of circular motion and the Lorentz force are utilized to convert electrical energy into mechanical energy and vice versa.