Charged mass connected to spring, swung in circle in mag. field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
clubguppy
Messages
3
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A spring with an unstretched length of 20 cm and a force constant of 100 N/m is attached to a 2-kg mass with a charge of 3.0 C. The mass is swung in a circle in a zero gravity environment, so that the spring is perfectly horizontal and is parallel to the radius of the circle, as shown at right. A vertical 1.5-T magnetic field permeates the entire region.


If the mass is moving at 5 m/s, what is the maximum radius of its motion?

Homework Equations


Centripetal Force: [itex]F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/itex]
Hooke's Law: [itex]F=kx[/itex] where k is the spring constant and x is elongation (how long the string is stretched)
Magnetic Force: [itex]F = qvBsin \theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried qvBsin(90 degrees) = [itex]qvB =F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r} + kr[/itex]
I assumed the force on the spring itself is the tenion (the constant * how long it stretched)

I'm not sure if I did it correctly...please help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Reply

clubguppy said:

Homework Statement


A spring with an unstretched length of 20 cm and a force constant of 100 N/m is attached to a 2-kg mass with a charge of 3.0 C. The mass is swung in a circle in a zero gravity environment, so that the spring is perfectly horizontal and is parallel to the radius of the circle, as shown at right. A vertical 1.5-T magnetic field permeates the entire region.


If the mass is moving at 5 m/s, what is the maximum radius of its motion?

Homework Equations


Centripetal Force: [itex]F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/itex]
Hooke's Law: [itex]F=kx[/itex] where k is the spring constant and x is elongation (how long the string is stretched)
Magnetic Force: [itex]F = qvBsin \theta[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried qvBsin(90 degrees) = [itex]qvB =F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r} + kr[/itex]
I assumed the force on the spring itself is the tenion (the constant * how long it stretched)

I'm not sure if I did it correctly...please help.

I have updated the information in the question.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
response

mukundpa said:
is the elongation is equal to radius of the circular path?

Yes, that is what I assumed. But, I can't get the radius in real number. What did I do wrong? Do you have suggestions for what I should do?

Should I change something about [itex]qvB =F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r} + kr[/itex] or do something different?
 
Last edited: