1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charged mass connected to spring, swung in circle in mag. field

1. May 18, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spring with an unstretched length of 20 cm and a force constant of 100 N/m is attached to a 2-kg mass with a charge of 3.0 C. The mass is swung in a circle in a zero gravity environment, so that the spring is perfectly horizontal and is parallel to the radius of the circle, as shown at right. A vertical 1.5-T magnetic field permeates the entire region.
    [Broken]

If the mass is moving at 5 m/s, what is the maximum radius of its motion?

2. Relevant equations
    Centripetal Force: [itex]F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/itex]
    Hooke's Law: [itex]F=kx[/itex] where k is the spring constant and x is elongation (how long the string is stretched)
    Magnetic Force: [itex]F = qvBsin \theta[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried qvBsin(90 degrees) = [itex]qvB =F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r} + kr[/itex]
    I assumed the force on the spring itself is the tenion (the constant * how long it stretched)

I'm not sure if I did it correctly...please help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2013 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

What is x in F = kx ?

4. May 18, 2013 #3

I have updated the information in the question.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. May 18, 2013 #4

mukundpa

Homework Helper

is the elongation is equal to radius of the circular path?

6. May 18, 2013 #5
    response

Yes, that is what I assumed. But, I can't get the radius in real number. What did I do wrong? Do you have suggestions for what I should do?

Should I change something about [itex]qvB =F= \frac{mv^{2}}{r} + kr[/itex] or do something different?

Last edited: May 18, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted