Charged particle on a sphere with magnetic dipole at its center

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a charged particle constrained to move on the surface of a sphere with a magnetic dipole at the center. The resulting Hamiltonian and Schrodinger equation are derived, and the energy spectrum is found to be independent of the charge of the particle. The possibility of this problem being an example of the Aharonov-Bohm effect is considered, but it is concluded that the effect is only manifesting itself at the second order of approximation. The speaker reflects on their past habit of playing with such problems and gathering information from them.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I just wanted something to play with so I thought of this problem and solved it but now I have questions about it.
Consider a charged particle with charge q and mass [itex] \mu [/itex] which is constrained to move on the surface of a sphere of radius R. There is a magnetic dipole with moment [itex] \vec m=m \hat z [/itex] at the centre of the sphere.
The vector potential produced by the magnetic dipole is [itex] \vec A= \frac {\mu_0 m \sin\theta} {4\pi R^2}\hat \varphi [/itex] and so the Hamiltonian is:

[itex] \hat H=\frac{1}{2\mu}\left( -\hbar^2 \nabla^2-\frac{\mu_0 q m}{4\pi R^3}\frac{\partial}{\partial \varphi}+\frac{\mu_0^2q^2m^2\sin^2\theta}{16\pi^2R^4}\right) [/itex].

I assumed [itex] q^2 m^2 [/itex] to be small and so the [itex] A^2 [/itex] term to be negligible.
So the time independent Schrodinger equation is:

[itex]
\left( \frac{\partial^2}{\partial \theta^2}+\cot\theta \frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}+\frac{1}{\sin^2\theta}\frac{\partial^2}{\partial\varphi^2}+ \frac {\mu_0 q m}{4 \pi R \hbar^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial \varphi} \right) \psi=-\frac{2\mu R^2}{\hbar^2}E \psi
[/itex]

Then I assumed [itex] \psi=T(\theta) P(\varphi) [/itex]. It turns out that [itex] P(\varphi)=const [/itex] otherwise the equation is not separable.This is also supported by symmetry considerations.
So the equation becomes:

[itex]
T''+\cot\theta T'+\frac{2\mu R^2 E}{\hbar^2} T=0
[/itex]

Which is Legendre's differential equation. But the coefficient of T should be of the form n(n+1) so that the solutions are well-behaved which gives us the energy spectrum:

[itex]
\frac{2\mu R^2 E}{\hbar^2}=n(n+1) \Rightarrow E=\frac{\hbar^2}{2\mu R^2}n(n+1)
[/itex]

Now the questions:

1- Can it be an example of Aharonov-Bohm effect. Because we can somehow isolate the magnetic dipole so that its magnetic field is zero on the surface of the sphere. How is that isolation?

2-As you can see, the energies are independent of the charge of the particle. I know that by adding the [itex] A^2 [/itex] term as a perturbation, we'll have q dependence but it is still strange to me. Can it be somehow explained?

I have a candidate answer to these solution but I don't know how much its correct. Looks like the geometry of the problem is pushing Aharonov-Bohm effect away, at least pushing it to the correction terms. Interesting.

Thanks

P.S.
Looks like I know the answer to the questions. So there is no question!
Consider it as my first publication so :biggrin:!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, that was years ago. Back then I had a habit of playing with such problems and gathering any little bit of interesting information I could get from them. There was no organized effort toward anything.
I can't quite figure out what my line of thought was. But I'm not sure this is related to the Aharonov-Bohm effect. For that to be true, the ## \vec B ## field should have no effect on the particle.
Anyway, even if I was right, its just about a non-typical configuration for the Aharonov-Bohm effect. You can come up with so many crazy configurations for so many physical phenomena and study the effect of that particular configuration on that phenomenon. In this particular case, the effect seems to be that the Aharonov-Bohm effect is only manifesting itself at the second order of approximation.
Actually I miss those days when I just played with such problems, maybe I think about it again.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

What is a charged particle on a sphere with a magnetic dipole at its center?

A charged particle on a sphere with a magnetic dipole at its center refers to a system where a charged particle is confined to move on the surface of a sphere and has a magnetic dipole located at its center.

What is the significance of studying this system?

Studying this system allows us to understand the behavior of charged particles in a magnetic field and the effects of a magnetic dipole on the motion of a charged particle.

How is the motion of the charged particle affected by the magnetic dipole?

The presence of the magnetic dipole causes the charged particle to experience a magnetic force, which can change its direction and speed of motion.

Are there any real-world applications of this system?

Yes, this system has applications in fields such as particle physics, astrophysics, and material science. It can also be used to study the behavior of particles in magnetic confinement fusion and in the design of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines.

What are some factors that can affect the behavior of the charged particle in this system?

The behavior of the charged particle can be affected by factors such as the strength and orientation of the magnetic dipole, the charge and mass of the particle, and the radius of the sphere.