Is my interpretation of the g-factor correct?

Frigorifico9
TL;DR Summary
Can the electron g factor be understood as electrons having roughly twice as much momentum as the Bohr Mageton?
I'm trying to make sure I understand the g-factor of the electron, so if my question is flawed please don't just point out my flaws, but help me correct my understanding

If I understand correctly the magnetic moment of an object depends on it charge, its mass and its momentum

$$
\mu = \frac{q}{2m} L
$$

Now, given that charge and angular momentum are quantized, you'd think the smallest magnetic moment would correspond to the smallest charge and the smallest momentum it is possible to have, this is Bohr's magneton

$$
\mu = \frac{e}{2m_e} \hbar
$$

But then it turns out electrons in the hydrogen atom have twice that much magnetic moment, and (this is the part where I think I may be wrong) this is due to the fact that electrons have $\hbar$ momentum around the nucleus AND $\hbar$ intrinsic momentum (spin)

$$
\mu = \frac{e}{2m_e} (\hbar+\hbar)=\frac{e}{m_e} \hbar
$$

So it makes sense it would be twice as much... But of course it then turns out they have slightly more than that because of self interactions in QED and this is still an active area of research

Did I say everything right? Could you correct me on my misunderstandings?

Physics news on Phys.org
An electron has a gyro-factor of about ##2##. That means that its intrinsic magnetic moment is
$$\hat{\vec{\mu}}=g \frac{-e}{2m} \hat{\vec{s}}.$$
since the electron has spin 1/2 this means with ##g \simeq 2## that its magnetic moment is about 1 Bohr magneton.

The gyro-factor of 2 follows from using the "minimal-coupling principle", i.e., to get a gauge invariant theory you substitute ##\partial_{\mu}## by the gauge-covariant derivative ##D_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu} +\mathrm{i} q A_{\mu}##. For the electron, ##q=-e##. In leading order perturbation theory ("tree level") this leads to a gyro-factor of 2 when applied to the Dirac equation.

Then there are radiative corrections, i.e., higher-order corrections in QED, involving Feynman diagrams with loops. The predicted "anomalous magnetic moment" of the electron is among the most accurate values ever calculated.

Frigorifico9 said:
Can the electron g factor be understood as electrons having roughly twice as much momentum as the Bohr Mageton?
Thr Bohr Magnetron is not a unit of momentum, or even angular momentum. It's like comparing gallons to volts.

Likes vanhees71
Frigorifico9 said:
TL;DR Summary: Can the electron g factor be understood as electrons having roughly twice as much momentum as the Bohr Mageton?

due to the fact that electrons have $\hbar$ momentum around the nucleus
No. The fact that g =2 has nothing to do with orbital angular momentum. The 2 comes out of the Dirac equation, which surprised everyone at the time. (1929?)

Likes vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
Thr Bohr Magnetron is not a unit of momentum, or even angular momentum. It's like comparing gallons to volts.
I agree, that's why I said that it DEPENDS on angular momentum not that it was angular momentum

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the g-factor in scientific terms?

The g-factor, also known as the general intelligence factor, is a statistical measure used to describe the overall cognitive ability of an individual. It is often associated with intelligence tests and is believed to be a major component in determining a person's intelligence.

2. How is the g-factor measured?

The g-factor is typically measured through standardized intelligence tests, such as the IQ test. These tests assess an individual's performance in various cognitive tasks, such as problem-solving, memory, and verbal comprehension. The scores from these tests are then used to calculate the g-factor.

3. Is the g-factor the only factor that determines intelligence?

No, the g-factor is just one component of intelligence and does not fully capture all aspects of intelligence. Other factors, such as emotional intelligence, creativity, and social intelligence, also play a role in determining a person's overall intelligence.

4. Can the g-factor change over time?

The g-factor is believed to be relatively stable throughout a person's life, as it is thought to have a strong genetic component. However, environmental factors, such as education and life experiences, can also influence the g-factor to some extent.

5. How does the g-factor relate to real-world success?

There is a strong correlation between the g-factor and various measures of success, such as academic and job performance. However, the g-factor is not the only factor that contributes to success, and other factors, such as motivation and opportunity, also play a role.