Charges inside conducting sphere

In summary: ...equal to the sum of the three charges due to the shell being neutral but this will be uniformly distributed over the outer surface of the sphere since the shell itself, between the outer and the inner surface, conducts.
samjohnny

Homework Statement

Three fixed point charges of +2 nC, −3 nC and +4 nC are located inside a thin uncharged metal spherical shell of radius R = 2 cm, as shown in the picture attached. Calculate the strength and direction of the electric field at position P, being 10 cm from the centre of the shell.

Homework Equations

E=Q/(4πε0r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what to do with this one. By Gauss' law the total enclosed charge of the metal sphere must be zero, but then how would one proceed with the question and calculate the field on P due to the charges in the sphere?

Thanks.

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    17 KB · Views: 486
Physics news on Phys.org
By Gauss' law the total enclosed charge of the metal sphere must be zero
How do you conclude that ?

BvU said:
How do you conclude that ?

Hmm, would it be correct to instead say in fact that inside the sphere, it is the electric field that is zero?

Same question. Don't you expect the field close to e.g. the -3 nC charge to be non-zero and point to that charge ?

Last edited:
Do not worry about the electric field inside the shell. You need it outside.

We were coming to that... gradually. The reply (no answer; instead: another question) to post #2 has me worried.

BvU said:
Same question. Don't you expect the field close to e.g. the -3 nC charge to be non-zero and point to that charge ?

I've had it drilled in my head that there is no electric field within a conductor and instead the charge migrates towards the surface [faraday cage and such]. I have probably mistakenly applied the result from that particular case to this situation as well. Yes, I would think that close to charge -3nC there is a non zero electric field due to it and pointing towards it.

Last edited:
What was drilled into your head is correct. But the conductor here is only the shell !

The three charges inside induce a surface charge on the inside of the shell, in such a way that the E-field is perpendicular to that inner surface. (Any component // the surface represents a non-zero E-field at the surface and would simply cause these charges to move until it's gone). The charge distribution on the inside surface is not asked for in this exercise (hence the EHild posting) .

Now, with the details of the surface charge distribution on the inside of the conducting shell of less interest, can you guess what the total charge on the inside of the shell must be ? (I could give a hint, but that's such a giveaway that it's your turn first).

From there, with the given neutrality of the shell, you have the total charge on the outside. Any idea how that charge is distributed ?

BvU said:
What was drilled into your head is correct. But the conductor here is only the shell !

The three charges inside induce a surface charge on the inside of the shell, in such a way that the E-field is perpendicular to that inner surface. (Any component // the surface represents a non-zero E-field at the surface and would simply cause these charges to move until it's gone). The charge distribution on the inside surface is not asked for in this exercise (hence the EHild posting) .

Now, with the details of the surface charge distribution on the inside of the conducting shell of less interest, can you guess what the total charge on the inside of the shell must be ? (I could give a hint, but that's such a giveaway that it's your turn first).

From there, with the given neutrality of the shell, you have the total charge on the outside. Any idea how that charge is distributed ?

Thanks for the reply. Ah I think I'm getting it, so it's only within the thin shell itself that the electric field is zero. As for within the hollowness of the sphere, there is a definite non zero charge and hence a non zero field there. I'm wondering if the total charge on the inside of the sphere would simply be negative of the sum of the three charges? And then the total charge on the outside will be equal to the sum of the three charges due to the shell being neutral but this will be uniformly distributed over the outer surface of the sphere since the shell itself, between the outer and the inner surface, conducts and so the electric field there is zero.

I'm wondering if the total charge on the inside of the sphere would simply be negative of the sum of the three charges?
Yes. No need to wonder: think a spherical Gaussian surface halfway between inner and outer surface of shell. E = 0 there !

And then the total charge on the outside will be equal to the sum of the three charges due to the shell being neutral but this will be uniformly distributed over the outer surface
Yes ! So this exercise (##\vec E## at P) is a piece of cake !

In case you ever need to work out e.g. the charge distribution on the inner surface: "superposition principle" and "image charge" are the keywords (e.g. here).

BvU said:
Yes. No need to wonder: think a spherical Gaussian surface halfway between inner and outer surface of shell. E = 0 there !

Yes ! So this exercise (##\vec E## at P) is a piece of cake !

In case you ever need to work out e.g. the charge distribution on the inner surface: "superposition principle" and "image charge" are the keywords (e.g. here).

Thanks for all the help! Here's what I've done (I think I might be grossly oversimplifying the physics; I'm just treating it as an electric field from a sphere/point charge problem):

E=Q/d^2*4*π*ε0 where Q = the sum of the charges = 3*10^[-9] C and d = 0.1m.

grossly oversimplifying
No, you're not. The effect of the conducting shell is indeed that the field outside is like that from a point net charge at the origin. (This is also the conlusion of A. Macchi (Pisa) in the link in post #10).

BvU said:
No, you're not. The effect of the conducting shell is indeed that the field outside is like that from a point net charge at the origin. (This is also the conlusion of A. Macchi (Pisa) in the link in post #10).

I see. Finally got my head around this, and have had a few misunderstandings cleared up. Thanks so much for the time and support!

1. What is a conducting sphere?

A conducting sphere is a spherical object made of a material that allows the free flow of electric charges. This means that the charges can move easily throughout the sphere's surface and interior.

2. What happens to charges inside a conducting sphere?

In a conducting sphere, the charges will distribute themselves evenly throughout the interior surface. This is because, in a conducting material, the charges will always repel each other and try to maximize their distance from one another.

3. How are charges distributed inside a conducting sphere?

The charges inside a conducting sphere will distribute themselves in a way that the electric field is perpendicular to the surface at every point. This is known as the "Faraday cage effect" and it ensures that the electric field inside the sphere is zero.

4. What happens to charges if an external electric field is applied to a conducting sphere?

If an external electric field is applied to a conducting sphere, the charges inside will redistribute themselves to cancel out the external field. This means that the surface of the sphere will become more positively or negatively charged, depending on the direction of the external field.

5. Can the charges inside a conducting sphere move freely?

Yes, the charges inside a conducting sphere can move freely, as long as the sphere is made of a material that allows the free flow of electric charges. This is because the charges are not bound to a specific location and can move throughout the sphere's interior.