1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Charges set on 4 corners of a square

1. Aug 2, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Three point charges +Q are placed at three corners of a square, and a charge -Q is placed at the fourth corner. If Q = 1.00 milli-coulomb and the side of the square has length 1.00 m, find the magnitude of net force that the positive charges exert on the negative charge. |F|=

2. Relevant equations
    F = kq1q2/d2
    k = 8.99 x 109 N-m2/C2

3. The attempt at a solution

I've tried this problem three times and i only have 2 more attempts to get it right so can anyone help me with this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2010 #2

diazona

Homework Helper

Sure, we can help you, but show us what work you've done on it first.

4. Aug 4, 2010 #3

Delta²

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have to use pythagorean theorem to first find the total force F by the 2 charges adjacent to the negative charge. This force F would lie on the same direction as the force from the 3rd positive charge (and that is because the forces from the 2 adjacent charges are both equal in magnitude and vertical to each other) so to find the net force u just add F and the force from the 3rd charge.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook