ChatGPT fought the Law and the Law Won?

• News
  • Thread starter jedishrfu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    chatgpt Law
In summary, ChatGPT allows you to generate content, but you are responsible for the content you produce. If you make a post that ChatGPT generates and someone sues ChatGPT, you are required to indemnify them.
Physics news on Phys.org
So if GPT tells me to put rat poison in a cupcake recipe, I might be at fault? o_O

• Wow
Likes Vanadium 50 and russ_watters
Borg said:
So if GPT tells me to put rat poison in a cupcake recipe, I might be at fault? o_O
Which is as it should be isn't it? If some link on the internet tells me to go shoot somebody and I do it, aren't I at fault?

Likes russ_watters, nuuskur and Borg
Borg said:
Just prove willing negligence and inferior product on their part, which will negate the indemnity clause.

In 1975
The Devil made me do it." (Geraldine Jones)
In 2023 - "ChatGPT made me do it"

And ChatGPT will say to blame Geraldine Jones…

• Haha
Likes nuuskur and mcastillo356
jedishrfu said:
Also Forbes wrote another article on what you can and cant do with the GPTs.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lancee...kly-prohibited-uses-per-ai-ethics-and-ai-law/

The article has a very long, rambling and repetitive preamble that almost turned me away. But finally he gets to a list of banned use cases. Many of these are obvious, but as the author points out, it would be possible to fall foul of them unintentionally because of the unpredictable nature of the technology.

Yeah, he probably used ChatGPT to write the article saying I need 1000 words on what you are banned from doing.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters, dextercioby, Vanadium 50 and 3 others
The Youtube lawyer Steve Lehto on ChatGPT legal exposure to users of ChatGPT:

This video seems to suggest that we shouldn't even identify posts as being generated by ChatGPT for fear of offending someone, and being held responsible for whoever sues ChatGPT.

• Skeptical
Likes russ_watters
jedishrfu said:
This video seems to suggest that we shouldn't even identify posts as being generated by ChatGPT for fear of offending someone, and being held responsible for whoever sues ChatGPT.
I'm not hearing that. Do you have a specific timestamp/line? There's a lot of lawyer blablabla and a lot of letsthroweverycrapwiecanthinkofintotheEULAeventhougthecoutswon'tbuyit, but where the rubber meets the road, what matters is that a person who makes a post is responsible for the content of the post. I don't hear anything that says if we accuse a post of being chat-bot generated that the chat-bot owner or object of the post could sue us over it. It doesn't really even make sense to me.

russ_watters said:
I don't hear anything that says if we accuse a post of being chat-bot generated that the chat-bot owner or object of the post could sue us over it.

You are right, that concept is not in the video.

What IS in the video, and in the published Terms of Use which I read a week or so ago:
If you post something that ChatGPT generated and a third party sues the ChatGPT owner, then you, as a ChatGPT user/(the poster), must indemnify (pay back) ChatGPT for their costs of the law suit.

Here is part of Item 7 from https://openai.com/policies/terms-of-use

7. Indemnification; Disclaimer of Warranties; Limitations on Liability​

(a) Indemnity. You will defend, indemnify, and hold harmless us, our affiliates, and our personnel, from and against any claims, losses, and expenses (including attorneys’ fees) arising from or relating to your use of the Services, including your Content, products or services you develop or offer in connection with the Services, and your breach of these Terms or violation of applicable law.

Have a good day...
Tom

The jist of the argument is:
- by using Chat you agree to the terms set forth in their contract
- you agree to indemnify Chat if your actions trigger a lawsuit
- some possible examples is if chat gave you as a response sime plagiarized text, posted it inline or used it in your own writing you could sued and so could Chat
- or if Chat said something untrue about a public person and you posted the untruth online you could be sued and so could Chat
- Chat would hire lawyers and you'd have to pay their bills and your own legal fees and whatever judgement was decided.

Tom.G said:
What IS in the video, and in the published Terms of Use which I read a week or so ago:
If you post something that ChatGPT generated and a third party sues the ChatGPT owner, then you, as a ChatGPT user/(the poster), must indemnify (pay back) ChatGPT for their costs of the law suit.
Right, that sounds perfectly logical/reasonable to me too. The person who makes the post is responsible for any harm it causes. Ideally the person harmed sues the person who made the post, but this covers the other direction; if they sue ChatGPT (because deeper pockets).

jedishrfu said:
- you agree to indemnify Chat if your actions trigger a lawsuit
- some possible examples is if chat gave you as a response sime plagiarized text, posted it inline or used it in your own writing you could sued and so could Chat
- or if Chat said something untrue about a public person and you posted the untruth online you could be sued and so could Chat
- Chat would hire lawyers and you'd have to pay their bills and your own legal fees and whatever judgement was decided.
Does that seem harsh/unfair to you? It seems reasonable/fair to me.

Also, can you explain your prior comment about identifying chatGPT content? Who is "we" in the sentence: "we shouldn't even identify posts as being generated by ChatGPT"? (and why?)

60 Minutes had a surprisingly decent piece last night about AI stuff. In one part they were playing with Google Bard. I don't remember the specifics but they asked it for some information with references, and Bard gave nonexistent book/paper references, which they only found out later when they back-checked it. When they back-checked it. 60 Minutes was just playing, but they still recognized the need to back-check the output because they recognize that they are responsible for the content of their reporting.

Last edited:
I was thinking that you post some self identified chatgpt generated content that some party objects to and sues you over it.

Because you say in the post that it came from chatgpt then the lawyers will think hmm this is a viable lawsuit with a good payout because we sue the poster and chatgpt for defamation.

You become the reason chatgpt got sued. By not mentioning where it came from then the lawyers will say the case isnt worth litigation because you alone have small pockets.

Likes russ_watters
I'm just glad 60 Minutes has learned their lesson and is checking what they broadcast. Took them long enough!

Likes russ_watters
jedishrfu said:
I was thinking that you post some self identified chatgpt generated content that some party objects to and sues you over it.

Because you say in the post that it came from chatgpt then the lawyers will think hmm this is a viable lawsuit with a good payout because we sue the poster and chatgpt for defamation.

You become the reason chatgpt got sued. By not mentioning where it came from then the lawyers will say the case isnt worth litigation because you alone have small pockets.
Ok, I'll buy that at least in part: by identifying the source of the content you are identifying ChatGPT as a potential additional target. It's still a tough road with a catch-22 at the end. In addition to proving harm from the content and culpability by the software, they'd also have to successfully challenge the indemnity clause, otherwise the are left with the same problem - getting money from someone with shallow pockets.

Likes gmax137
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm just glad 60 Minutes has learned their lesson and is checking what they broadcast. Took them long enough!
Yeah, everytime they do a story that I have some knowledge of, I can see them being misleading. I'm not a regular viewer anymore.

Likes russ_watters

What is ChatGPT fought the Law and the Law Won?

ChatGPT fought the Law and the Law Won is a phrase generated by the AI language model, GPT-3, during a demonstration of its capabilities. It is a play on the famous song, "I Fought the Law and the Law Won" by The Bobby Fuller Four.

What is GPT-3?

GPT-3 (Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3) is an AI language model created by OpenAI. It is one of the largest language models to date, with 175 billion parameters, and is capable of generating human-like text.

How does GPT-3 work?

GPT-3 works by using deep learning algorithms to analyze and learn patterns from a large dataset of text. It then uses this knowledge to generate human-like text based on a given prompt or input.

What is the significance of ChatGPT fought the Law and the Law Won?

The phrase "ChatGPT fought the Law and the Law Won" showcases the impressive capabilities of GPT-3 and its ability to understand and mimic human language. It also raises questions about the potential impact and ethical implications of such advanced AI technology.

Can GPT-3 be used for other purposes?

Yes, GPT-3 can be used for a variety of purposes, such as text completion, translation, and even coding. Its potential applications are still being explored and it has the potential to revolutionize many industries.